Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,725   Online: 748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Lunar Eclipse tonight

Any tips for photographing this evening's Lunar Eclipse?

I plan on shooting transparencies with the Nikon.

Thanks in advance,

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No and yes. Go to a location where there are no city lights, use a 400 or 500mm lens, fast film speed, take different time exposures and hope for the best. As for me I will be watching from my deck enjoying the event.

Good luck.

Images
    A couple of years ago there was a Lunar Eclipse. I started to hassle with getting it together to photograph it but finally decided to leave the photography to those with the necessary equipment and expertise.
    I bundled up and relaxed in my back yard with a cup of Hot Rum and Cider, listened to some appropriate music from my minidisk player and just enjoyed the show. If I had been dealing with the technical stuff, I would have missed all of the subtle changes and the beauty of the event.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    Any tips for photographing this evening's Lunar Eclipse?
    I remember two tips from 15+ years ago when I shot one:

1. required exposure times are a lot shorter than I would have guessed. Obviously, don't rely on your exposure meter, unless you have a telelens and spot metering. And even then: bracket, mainly towards even shorter exposure times.

2. If you don't develop the film yourself, ask the minilab/proflab/... to NOT cut the negatives/positives. It's hard -or impossible- to tell where one frame ends and another starts; best to do that yourself. I ended up with quite some "half" slides because I didn't ask them not to cut the film...

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was hoping to shoot a couple of shots tonight - but it's an overcast day and doesn't look like it will clear up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone in the U.K. - get off that keyboard and take a look right now. It's covering nicely, a fantastically clear sky and view here in London.

Wonderful.......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks to all for the advice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Beautiful really
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Untill the clouds came in, I took a couple of shots with (1) Bronica EC + Nikkor 250 mm. + 2x tele converter on Fuji NPH 400 @ 125/8 and (2) Leica M2 + Visoflex III + Telyt 200 mm on Fuji Superia 200 @ 125/8, in both cases increasing aperture as the moon got smaller. Did a bit of bracketing. We'll see how these shots come out. There will be another lunar eclipse in August, but you have to live in the Pacific region to catch it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin