Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,874   Online: 1084

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm really not that experienced with slides, but I just started shooting some expired Ektachrome 100S (which I got thanks to the kind sale of a fellow APUGger) with my Yashica-D (yashikor lens, not the better yashinon one) and I use a Metrastar 30degrees meter that's older than me. I can see differences in one stop overexposure, but otherwise I'm blown away by what's coming out of my rudimentary equipment.

I meter for the highlight, put it on a relevant zone, try to keep the light source at my back, and shoot happily. Even without bracketing I haven't had problems. I suggest you put more effort than that only when you face a situation that you can't solve easily, otherwise you'll be stuck into considering gamma rays but not actually shooting. Learn when the needs happen: you can't prepare for everything.

Happy sliding!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like my meters, I have 3 darkroom thermometers. Each one has a different reading. I put all 3 in and average it out. Somewhere in there, is the right temperature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobF
    Because of a recent thread about meters I have been obsessing about my meter's accuracy and metering technique.
    So my question, do you obsess about absolute accuracy of your meter/meters (if there is such a thing) or like me have you developed a "system" with your equipment and technique that works for you and you don't sweat the half stops.

Bob
    I find that as long as the meter is consistent, I can live with it as far off as a 1/2 stop. Besides, my meter is far more consistent than me and my selection of what to meter at times

Images
    I don't worry about absolute calibration either. If one has more than one meter it is nice to have them match.

A friend of mine and I recently had occasion to have a bunch, maybe 8, meters together at one time. Some were spot, some were cameras, this and that. It was amazing how close they all were. There was maybe 1/3 stop between them, except one that was 1 stop out. That one we disregarded completely and called the others good.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    I don't worry about absolute calibration either. If one has more than one meter it is nice to have them match.

A friend of mine and I recently had occasion to have a bunch, maybe 8, meters together at one time. Some were spot, some were cameras, this and that. It was amazing how close they all were. There was maybe 1/3 stop between them, except one that was 1 stop out. That one we disregarded completely and called the others good.
    Toss out the high and low, average the rest ogether and BINGO!
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I grew up using Weston Masters. Later I had a Minolta IVF. From time to time it flakes out with extraordinarily unbelievable readings. So I think, "Naw. That's way wrong. It should be (whatever)" and check it with a Weston. The Weston is old and no longer correct either, but closer.

The point is, I know the proper reading from experience. I really, do not _need_ a light meter. I'll bet you don't either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have only one meter and one thermometer. The spot meter is a Pendax digital and is perfectly accurate. The thermometer is a $5.95 special which is also perfectly accurate. Together, these make up a team. Life is good! tim

P.S. Not sure if this team is accurate, but at least it is consistent.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    no two ever give the same reading
    I also think that no meter will ever give the same reading twice!

Take a reading, then take another which should be itentical, and chances are it'll change! (At least for reflective and incident meters in real world conditions).

That's why a prefer my old westons (if I meter at all) to the fancy sekonic I could use - with a needle you SEE it moving around, and can make sensible choices about how accurate it is - a digital read out gives a single number. You've no way of knowing if thats a flukey high, low or a sensible mid value.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format

Same Result.

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Like my meters, I have 3 darkroom thermometers. Each one has a different reading. I put all 3 in and average it out. Somewhere in there, is the right temperature.
    I bet that if you only used one of them you'd still get a correct result, don't ask me why, it's just one of the truths about photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't worry about the meters too much, because the mechanical shutters on the older cameras I use aren't too accurate anyway. I bracket. For color slides, I bracket a lot.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin