Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,343   Online: 791

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sherman,
    What a simple and effective idea. I have not encountered that before. Thanks for sharing.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That is a good idea. I have a magnification/exposure factor chart on the back of each of my LF cameras, and I still forget occasionally.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

I have my rails marked, just to tell me that I'm in bellows factor territory. Then I use that little target and ruler that Calumet sells. It's GREAT for nailing it dead on.

dgh

David G Hall

Amongst the cornfields & rednecks of central Indiana
    Here's an interesting one:

"Quick releases can be very quick."

I see so many newbies who go out and by the most expensive neck/shoulder strap for their camera, WITH A QUICK RELEASE. Then, during a shoot, I see them bump their quick release and ... BANG ... their new camera hits the ground, HARD. Personally, I hate QR straps. I hate straps (neck). If I do use a strap, I attach a small clip cord from the camera to the strap (kinda like a chain on a pocketwatch), especially at weddings where I have little time to watch the strap.

Another cool trick (for MF people). Buy one of those small, cheap LED flashlights, mount an old cold shoe on it (from a busted strobe) and slap it on your camera somewhere. (On my Hassy, it's on the siderail). Works great for focusing in low light without having to use the old videolight on the Stroboframe.

And, for LF people, cheap inkjet transparency sheet (I use color laser ones, but their more expensive, and clearer) work great for marking your shot with info. I do this so I can remember exactly what I saw when I shot. (using a grease pencil). I lay it over the GG and mark away, including any logistics that I see on why the image was layed out as it is. In the darkroom, I just overlay the sheet on my neg and it helps me see what I was after during the initial shot.

For those wedding/event shooters who shoot with Metz 45CT/CL strobes or similar...if you want a cheap backup battery (or don't want to pay for Quantum batteries, go to Radio Sh*t and buy some of the "RC car connector repair kits" (23-445) and a bunch of cheap RC car 9.6v battery packs. Pop apart a bad battery connector and solder a coiled cord to the correct contacts, attach the RC connector to the other end, get a cheap belt pouch and you have extended power! I built one for mine, about $50.00 and I can get almost 12 hours of shooting out of it!

Finally, there is the old string with loop at one end and 1/4-20 or 3/8 screw at the other end instead of a monopod. I've used this setup to shoot down to 2 sec (at Getty Museum in LA) with my HB and no monopod to carry. (Insert loop around foot, screw into camera, lift camera against foot and press into forehead or eye)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (docholliday @ Feb 23 2003, 10:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I hate straps (neck). If I do use a strap, I attach a small clip cord from the camera to the strap (kinda like a chain on a pocketwatch), especially at weddings where I have little time to watch the strap.

</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    *Good* ideas here. I&#39;ve gotta try the "flashlight" and "auxilliary power park" ideas.

I agree with the neckstrap aversion. However, they are useful for keeping the "blad out of the muck and mire - hang the camera somewhere when you need your hands free.

Mine has saved my &#39;blad from &#39;grab and go" thieves a time or two. Once, I was seated at an outdoor cafe&#39; - with the neckstrap tied to the Campari umbrella. Sure enough - a bicyclist approached, slowed considerably - and most likely decided that it would NOT be a very good idea to try to escape an enraged photographer while dragging a reather large umbrella after him.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Ed,

I wasn&#39;t saying "don&#39;t use a strap". I was saying "avoid the stupid quick-release straps". I keep a Non-QR strap on my camera almost always when I&#39;m out of the studio shooting. I just add a secondary (small/tiny) strap from the main strap to the strap clips so that if it lets go, I&#39;ll have a better chance to grab it.

I.E. "Quick releases can be very quick"

On the subject of "grab and go", when I travel, I almost always carry a monopod with me. It works great for shooting and... When I was in Lost Wages (Las Vegas) for a conference, I was staying at the Paris Hotel. About 9:00 (when the strip starts getting lively) I decided that I would walk down towards the MGM, over to NYNY and back. About 1/4 mile from the hotel, I had these two *idiots* who decided they would do the "bump and grab" on me after which one of them noticed that I had a caribiner attaching the strap to my belt (slung my 503 over my shoulder, then clipped the "secondary" cable to my belt). As he gave me a blank stare when the camera got yanked back out of his hand and swung down near my knee, I hit him upside the head with my Bogen monopod (3263QR first) at which time he fell promptly to the ground and his buddy (yeah, some buddy) took off like a bolt of lighting.

He was out cold with a bit of blood oozing from where I had cut him (from ear to mouth) so I was going to go after his buddy. When I looked up, his buddy had tripped over one of those "sidewalk gardens" and was face down in the dirt (uh, sand?).

To make matters worse, this caught the attention of two LV cops who were standing in the parking lot a few feet ahead and who came over to see what happened. They almost busted up laughing when they saw what I had done to these two. They didn&#39;t say much to me and proceeded to drag off the two idiots. Betcha they won&#39;t try that again anytime soon&#33;

(it was another situation where the "secondary straps" saved my camera)

BTW, no, I do NOT advocate violence. Not at all. I had been cooped up all day at the conference (with a bunch of dentists) and I learned to fight with a broad sword when I was younger. Plus, I have a bad temper anyways.

Adding the above factors, the odds were against these idiots *before* they tried taking my &#39;blad&#33;

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greaaaat, a dentist with a bad temper&#33;
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Wow, Doc,

That&#39;s pretty ballsy, whacking the guy and knocking him out cold. I give you a lot of credit&#33;

dgh

David G Hall

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin