Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,550   Online: 782

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Amongst the cornfields & rednecks of central Indiana
    Actually, I'm not a dentist. I'm in the computer industry. I was at a convention with a bunch of dentists showing some software. I'm a programmer and consultant (been in the industry for 17 years). I do a bunch of things. And I travelled a lot.

Two guys. I figure they'd either get the hint, go down (hard), or shoot me. I figured they wouldn't try to fight back (blank stares are often a good sign of this.) And, I figured the guy wouldn't get punched out by the blow. Of course, I didn't expect a monopod with a ballhead would really hit *that* hard. But, I was in a REAL bad mood. So, it happened.

It's not the first time. I've come close to getting mugged in NY twice, Chicago twice, and Galveston once.

Doc,
    That's a pretty high rate of assaults, isn't it? Did they involve camera equipment each time?\

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

David,

No, not every time, only 2 of them. The other times, I was walking along with friends I was visiting and the perps were obviously watching for "touristy" types. I'm so used to being in large towns that I usually look like I belong there. However, my friends always look like the "typical" outta-towners. So, when the idiots come over and say their usual "Can I ask you a question" or "Do you have a dollar", I usually follow with a "Nope". Then, when they ask again, it's "F*ck off". The third time, I usually stop walking, spin on my heel, and repeat in a slow, monotone fashion, "DID you hear me the first time? I said F*ck off You **SX*C*DSLE*DCJD". Then, I turn and walk. If they follow me (as they did in Chi-town, I'll walk around a corner, drop my monopod, and club them as they walk around the corner.

I had my cameras with me, but there were in a beat-the-hell-up Tamrac backpack that I had ripped the tags off of and sewn every college-looking idol sticker (cats, dead kennedy stickers, etc) onto it. Usually, the "broke-assed" college student look tends to deter many incidents (what are they going to get? a few bags of Ramen noodles?)

I usually go walking around at 3:00 in the morning to get some neat shots, and most of the time, I don't get bothered. But, one of my friends was packing my HUGE bogen tripod on his shoulder, so the guy was lucky he got the monopod (my friend was behind me with the tripod ready to swing with the 3047 head first)

It may seem like quite a few times, but in reality it is a small fraction of a percent of the time that I'm out. Usually, they walk away after the first "F*ck off". I almost never get harassed by anybody in the fall or winter when I'm walking around in a fedora and trench.
    '------------------------
    Aggie:

You go! That is definitely cool! Some of the *Idiiiiiiots* deserve to get treated like they do! They'll think twice before attempting it again! (Why did the Vikings wear those weird metal helmets? Answer: so their heads would hurt less when their wives clubbed them with the frying pan... )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmmm. I've had people talk like they "wanted some", but that was rare. Only one fight in the past 30 years, and that took less time than reading this sentence. Planting my heel in the guy's chest and driving him back a good 10 feet was very persuasive I guess. I've never had anyone try to rob me or put their hands on me except that one time. Maybe there is some sort of look that attracts them? Maybe since I am usually scruffy and shaggy they think I'm either real crazy or real mean? shrug. I do know, if I ever have problems, I can always hire Aggie the Merciless and Doc the quickest tripod in the west

I guess I'm kind of in awe of Doc because I have been robbed oversees a couple of times and I would have never thought of knocking someone out with a monopod. But then I have never had anyone tried to grab a camera. Yikes.

Given Doc's experience, the second strap and caribiner is a great idea. Next time I am out doing street photography with a 35mm or the Mamiya, I will try that. The Mamiya currently has one of those QR straps and could be gone before I know it, if I'm not careful.

dgh

David G Hall

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It might be well to get back to the subject..."coolist tricks"?

One question a lot of people ask me when observing my work (after questions about gear et c.) is, "Why don't my pictures look as good?" My reply is almost universally, "Use a tripod."

Of course there are times when carrying and/or setting up a tripod is inconvenient, impossible, or illegal. It is then I employ my foot cord. This consists of a Nylon cord about five to six feet in length tied to a ¼-20 threaded eye-bolt. I just roll the thing up and stick it in my pocket when I go out. To use it, I screw it into the camera’s tripod socket, stand in the bitter end and stretch it up till I get the camera to the attitude needed.

Using this technique with my Mamiya C330f TLR with the waist-level finder and a neck strap – holding the body with both hands – elbows tucked into my sides (easy for me being rather roly-poly), I have been able to obtain very sharp images at ¼ second. Only wind problems require higher shutter speeds. When I finish, the cord goes back in the pocket.

Certainly one gets much more advantage with tripods, but when in doubt, whip it out (the foot-pod of course.)

Truly, dr bob.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Steve, thats MIDwest, ...quickest tripod in the MIDwest hehe

People are who they use to be. No more "leave it to beaver" neighborhoods. Too many people looking for a cheap thrill or cheap high. Geez, what has the world come to today? Can't take pictures of bridges (though I can watch the Discovery Channel and see "the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge"...), can't order from McDonalds without your food being screwed up, can't get corn at many restaurants (though I live in the Midwest and there are corn fields all around...), and of course, my favourite, can't take pictures with a LF camera without a zillion tourists crowding around and going "what are you doing?"

Maybe the cold fusion device was taken by the government to make a time-travel machine...oops, wrong forum (see my reply in "Dr. Greer reveals new free energy source" in "off-topic discussions")

-----------------
    BTW, dr bob, cool to see that somebody does the same thing (reference my post on page 2)! I now know that I'm not the only person who gets weird looks when doing the loop-o'pod from passersby!

Shooter
    Large Format
    You guys seem to have all of the excitement in life. If it isn't Aggie having a nude photograph taken in her younger days, then it is Doc and David recounting experiences of murder (attempted, I admit) and mayhem. Cheez, whats a fellow to do? I guess that I need to broaden my social circle. I went out to observe the crop circles that they created this past summer and fall in the hopes of broadening my social contacts and you got it... all that I met were cows...
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Somehow I've managed to avoid such problems, living in New York these past 12 years, and I'm not a particularly intimidating character. I'm vigilant, keep my possessions under my immediate control, and stay aware of what's going on around me, and I haven't had any incidents. I am a bit wary of standing alone under a darkcloth in desolate neighborhoods, so if I'm going to someplace iffy, I use a camera that doesn't require a darkcloth or I go with a friend, but other than that, the normal precautions of city life have worked for me.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin