Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,723   Online: 774

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

How do you get the "silken" look on flowing water?

Some of the shots I always enjoy seeing here are those of "babbling brooks" where the water flowing over the rocks has a soft "silken" appearance. Even though everything else may be in sharp focus - the water flows over the rocks in a soft silk-like fashion.

How is this done? Is it by exposure settings? Or is it done in during processing?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Loooooonnnng exposures. Well, they don't have to be real long, but a few seconds at least. I know others here have a lot more experience with this than I do, but I have found that neutral density filters are often employed in the technique. Not to mention a good, steady tripod!

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yeah, it's just a long exposure thing. You can use neutral density filters to slow the light rushing through your lens if you're shooting in daylight and want longer exposure times than you'd get stopping down all the way.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This photograph:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...500&ppuser=520

was, I believe, about a 45 second exposure. The length of exposure was driven by a few things: the aperture size (small, to get good DOF), and the low light level.

There are quite a few things that need to be taken into account, as mentioned above. Wind, DOF, speed of the water, etc. all need to be taken into account. Your best bet is to experiment: find a stream (or something similar), and make images using different exposure times. Try and remember how fast the faster was moving; once you have the negs in hand, you'll be able to draw your own conclusions about what shutter speed will give you the 'look' your after

Good luck!
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Expanding on what Ken said, if the water flow is too heavy and your exposure is too long, you get a really nice picture of a white blob. Of course, none of my pictures have ever looked like that....

Images
    The secret is a small aperture and a tripod. Next time you are in Tucson go out to Tanque Verde Canyon in the morning and practice on the water.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Some of the shots I always enjoy seeing here are those of "babbling brooks" where the water flowing over the rocks has a soft "silken" appearance. Even though everything else may be in sharp focus - the water flows over the rocks in a soft silk-like fashion.

How is this done? Is it by exposure settings? Or is it done in during processing?
    Long exposure is the way to go, but you also might try long multiple exposures - gives a bit more of a punch to that silky flow.

I believe our Les Maclean has posted some examples of this technique in the past.

Mike

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    the water flows over the rocks in a soft silk-like fashion.

That's the "bridal veil" look, no photoshop required. You will need a tripod. You do want a bit of sunlight as a highlight on the flow you wish to feature. Slow exposure, just enough to subordinate the detail of the flow. Moderate DOF, keep some of the still stuff in clear focus. Try exposures from maybe 1/8 or so to a couple seconds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Long exposure is the way to go, but you also might try long multiple exposures - gives a bit more of a punch to that silky flow.

I believe our Les Maclean has posted some examples of this technique in the past.

Mike
    In Les' book, he breaks an indicated 4 second exposure into 32 exposures at 1/125, so it's more what I'd consider multiple short exposures in that particular instance. Of course you can go with any combination of multiple exposures of any length that sum to the proper exposure length, and get a variety of effects in doing so.

The best way to get what you want, as always, is to make some tests and see what gets you where you want to go.

The longer the exposure, the "silkier", up to the point of overexposing.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

Mike
    I've seen a couple of examples of water done this way, I think by Les and/or Barry Thornton. They do give a sense of motion, and not so "silky". I prefer them myself.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin