Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,831   Posts: 1,582,302   Online: 1051

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There are times that I find using a grey card useful. However in the back of my feeble little brain I have been wondering if I have been using it properly. In the instructions it states to hold it vertically and then angle it half way between the sun and the subject. Now just how do you do this if your holding it vertically??

I wish they would include a diagram or something.

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pretend it's suspended from a string.

Assuming a normal orientation for the camera - ie pointed horizontally, put the grey card vertical and parallel to the front of the lens (like a filter would be). Now rotate it vertically so it's halfway between the sun and the camera.

I think it's only a real problem with intense sources like the sun. If it's overcast or indoors with indirect light, it won't matter because there's no strong reflection from the surface of the card.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    So what your saying is rotate the card so it is at 45 degrees?

subject &#092; <- camera and/or meter

Like this?
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds right. The idea is to get a reading with no reflected glare. So, I guess you just tilt and swing the card until there is none.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin