Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,944   Posts: 1,557,725   Online: 1186

Thread: reflected light

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

Please forgive me is this is a stupid question!

A few days ago, while sitting by the river during a tea break, I noticed something interesting that got me thinking. It had become quite an overcast day, with very little definition in the clouds, but some sunlight shining through.

I noticed however that the reflection of the sky on the river showed quite considerably more detail and interest in the clouds. I was wondering why this should be and how I might recreate the effect on film.

I'm guessing it is has something to do with the polarizing effect the water has on the reflected light, in which case would a polarizing filter have a smiler effect? Or maybe the water only reflects some of the light, and absorbs the rest, acting like a coloured filter?

Then again, I was nearing the end of a 12 hour shift, so I could have been seeing things!

Ben.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ben, I've noticed the same.
    The answer seems to be yes, yes, maybe and yes

Yes, it has something to do with polarization.
    Yes, a pola filter could have something of a similar effect.
    Water is not a perfect reflector, and it may be colour-dependent?
    Yes, you could have been seeing things!

Like rainbows, this it one of the things you have to pass up on if you insist on wearing sunglasses at all times...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin