Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,107   Online: 1036

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Ok, I will let you be the judge of some of the few portraits i have done. They were taken in South america. I wanted to show more of the person, not and their diginity not their humble or undignified circumstances. I have to scan and such so bear with me that they are not immediately forth coming.
    Ah, dont misunderstand me Aggie, it is the context within the pics that sometimes piss me off. For example if you find an old lady with an interesting face, deep brown skin wearing a typical hat, it is hard to resist, I have done it myself. But the Barbaum pic actually shows the woman sitting on the floor obviously in the act or getting ready to beg. This is the kind of thing that bug me. I dont mind a portrait made of a farmer or a poor person were the picture shows character and the face is interesting , but the kind of pictures showing people begging, or naked kids asking for money or in the middle of a dirty street in a ghetto really piss me off. Hell if I go to the US chances are under many of the bridges or underpasses in any city I can find a guy begging with a sign that says "help a vietnam vet" etc...how come the same guys who come here to take pics of poor people dont take those pics? That is what I am talking about, the deliberate exploitation under the guise of "art" when the problem is not just one that exists in this country.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, to get back on topic, you are correct Ta, for long exposures the best is to make personal tests, but barring that consulting the reciprocity tables would be the next best thing. The H&D curves thing your teacher mentions sounds like hocus pocus to me...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jorge,
    I recently saw a program on the National Geographic channel (or was it PBS) where the commentator talked about the photography at National Geographic and how it changed the perceptions of people who read it since they always showed photographs of people from different cultures in exotic (to them) costumes and not of people going to work in a business suit(quite obviously).

You will be surprised how many times people here have asked me if elephants and snakes are common in India. My response has been - definitely, in zoos.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Jorge, if its any consulation I felt she was getting ready to pray and it never occured to me that she would beg in that location.

Shesh, I was thinking about what might stereotype the US. Maybe towering rock formations and buffalo or bighorn sheep. The only problem is that I can find them all within a half hours drive and NOT in a zoo.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LOL, bob. Unfortunately, the stereotype of the US in India is regarding the people who are looked at as brash and loud. Most people are aware of the overwhelming natural beauty in this country though.

BTW, I envy your location - I've never been to CO.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shesh, this is fly over country suitable for photo opps only. Those brash Americans all live on the East and Left coast. :roll: (just havin fun all you Left Coasters)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Your right Jorge, he was motivated more by getting a sharp pic than anything else. However it is a fine photo.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Thanks for your answers, I never realized i would start such a debate but most agree that H&D curves are for classroom only; to work out the tonal range of film and contrast of the film under normal conditions and normal processing. The old guy does have a certain "im master of photography realm" attitude but his images are actually quite plain jane...give me sarah moon any day.........and whom is bruce barnham and what is his book ? it appears he pops up quite alot in this forum........

thanks for your time,

ade (my fault but my name isn't "Ta" - "Ta" means thank you in england or Australia)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Bruce Barnbaum's website can be found at www.barnbaum.com

Check him out.

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ader
    Thanks for your answers, I never realized i would start such a debate but most agree that H&D curves are for classroom only; to work out the tonal range of film and contrast of the film under normal conditions and normal processing. The old guy does have a certain "im master of photography realm" attitude but his images are actually quite plain jane...give me sarah moon any day.........and whom is bruce barnham and what is his book ? it appears he pops up quite alot in this forum........

thanks for your time,

ade (my fault but my name isn't "Ta" - "Ta" means thank you in england or Australia)
    Ah...sorry about the Ta, Ade... the attitude is not such a big deal but what I find inexcusable is that this guy is teaching and giving out the wrong information. I dont know what the circumstances are, if this is a college or just a workshop, but he should be challanged to explain his methodology after all he is not Moses spreading the word of God...no? :P

Bruce Barbaum is an excellent photographer and is better known for his printing techniques. He is a regular contribuitor to Photo Techniques magazine and advocates the use of local contrats enhancement by using bleaching among another techniques. As Eric said, check him out his prints are beautiful.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin