Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,225   Online: 910

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I shoot only 35mm and medium format. The former in particular tends to encourage bracketing, whether in b&w or color. I also tend to segregate my shooting styles and subject matter according to the format. With 35mm I tend to shoot rapidly, casually and make lots of insurance shots. The subjects are often people.

I bracket with impunity when shooting for Diafine since adjusted development is impossible. This is essential to my nighttime photography. As long as there's time to bracket I'll do so.

Most of the time with MF work, tho', (generally using developers other than Diafine) my approach is more deliberate and I seldom make more than one exposure of a subject. If I do I'll often recompose as well. I'll spotmeter, think in terms of N+/-, in effect doing everything I don't normally do when using 35mm.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Jorge,
    If I don't make a mistake my exposures are dead on using the zone system. I don't think I need to start over now.

lee\c
    Well, my response was for Jim. If you are happy the way you are doing it all the more power to you.
    I just wanted to tweek your nose senor all in fun.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi

What means BTZS I'm german speaking and I have no idea what thad means!
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Large Format
    Beyond The Zone System. ....an aternative method for exposure measurement and testing than the zone system.

You can check phil's web site at:

www.btzs.org

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In LF I don't bracket exposure - I bracket developing. I (usually) shoot both sides of the holder at exactly the same setting. When I get home, I unload all holders and develop evey second negative in the stack (I have a vague idea of which order they're in). If the first negative is good, I develop the second one the same way - just in case one of them is scratched or fingerprinted or something. If not, I look closely at the first one to decide what to do with no. 2.

Sometimes I'll use the second negative for experimenting with new mixes. If I know the first one is good in developer A, I will try it in developer B. It is interesting to see the differences in tonality and "structure" between different developers...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format

bracketing & digital question

After a while, and after bracketing (both + & -) you start seeing the same spaces (oh, I'm an architectural photographer) and the same types of light. The negs soon are all good and you'll stop bracketing. (maybe I should start going over and under two stops!) After a while, you get tired of taking 30 images of 10 spaces, and say the heck with it.

Now, what I really need to know, since I'm not that knowledgable with digital images, is what to do with the digital image to make it appropriate for uploading to the web. How do i squeeze a 250 meg file into 150K for this site and what happens to the quality?

Drew

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew B.
    After a while, and after bracketing (both + & -) you start seeing the same spaces (oh, I'm an architectural photographer) and the same types of light. The negs soon are all good and you'll stop bracketing. (maybe I should start going over and under two stops!) After a while, you get tired of taking 30 images of 10 spaces, and say the heck with it.

Now, what I really need to know, since I'm not that knowledgable with digital images, is what to do with the digital image to make it appropriate for uploading to the web. How do i squeeze a 250 meg file into 150K for this site and what happens to the quality?

Drew
    Definately the wrong site for this question. You will have a better chance of an answer if you go to www.photo.net or someother digital oriented site.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Definately the wrong site for this question. You will have a better chance of an answer if you go to www.photo.net or someother digital oriented site.
    Are you sure he's not asking how to get a big analogue picture down to a postable size? If so it's a reasonable question I think.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like a reasonable question for the submission of images to APUG. I personally use (don't laugh, gang) Corel's Photo House, the Graphics program included in WordPerfect's System 8. One can set the magnification to "pixels on each side, maintaining aspect ratio", and visually see the total size of the file. I'm sure there must be many other Graphic programs that have the ability of this "dinosaur".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wasn't aware of 'bracketing' until recently - where have I been! Photographing children a lot of the time - I find it challenging enough trying to get them with the one shot rather than trying for 3.
    All 3 images would be different compositions anyway depending on the speed and energy levels of the child, their mood, .... Lots of fun. I prejudge and preplan as much as I can and in the end do my best and hope for the best.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin