Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,786   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole

Gossen Luna Pro-F Repair

Folks;

I've owned, and enjoyed using, my Gossen Luna Pro-F meter since the early 1990's. Last week, while doing some calibration tests against an old Zeiss Ikon camera with built in meter, I noticed that my Gossen appears to be giving incorrect readings in bright light, at least 2 stops over. I've checked all the usual suspects (battery, exposure compensation dial, incident vs reflective, etc) and I can't find a reason, other than it appears that it's time for it to be sent in.

I should also say that I've checked the meter's reading against 2 different cameras whose in-camera meter I trust to be pretty close.

Do you know if Gossen themselves (now owned by Bogen) will perform repairs on these older meters, or do I have to find some 3rd party repair facility? Any recommendations?

I do prefer the analog meter readout on the Luna Pro-F, so I'm not sure if I'm ready for a new digital meter.

~Joe
    Last edited by Joe VanCleave; 08-06-2008 at 10:59 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Writing is 90% editing

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The best light meter repair facility in the business... in beautiful downtown Hollywood- across from the Chinese Theater.

Quality Light Metric Co
    7095 Hollywood Blvd Ste 550
    Los Angeles, CA 90028-8912
    Phone: (323) 467-2265

I've noticed that Gossen meters tend to read a stop (or so) under than most other meters.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the same meter and several years ago, had a similar problem. Called Bogen, they said it was a common problem with that model and offered a trade in to the latest comparable meter, all digital, for something like $250.

I indicated I only wanted to get it repaired, and they quoted a lower price, I think around $140, so sent it to them. A short time later, got it back, and has worked perfectly ever since.

I may be off with the exact prices mention but it should be close. Although disappointed in the brand quality somewhat, I was pleased with Bogen and the outcome.

I have an older Gossen meter that never had a problem but the Pro-F is my favorite and it meters flash.

Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [
    I've noticed that Gossen meters tend to read a stop (or so) under than most other meters.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on Quality Light Metric. I believe the Luna Pro is calibrated for 36 % reflectance, rather than 18 %.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1 View Post
    I've noticed that Gossen meters tend to read a stop (or so) under than most other meters.
    I haven't noticed that with my Luna Pro F. Or at least, in daylight, it seems to be consistent with what you'd expect from the "sunny 16" rule. In any case, it seems to work, whatever it's doing, so I can't complain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before the malfunction of the Pro F or after the repair, I fine the Pro F to be the same as several other meters including readings of my F3 off of a 18% Gray card. YMMV
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Just an update, I shipped my Gossen Luna Pro F out to Quality Light Metric in Hollywood, CA on Monday, via USPA Priority Mail. Wednesday they called with a diagnosis and repair estimate of around $70. Wow! Fast turn-around time. I expect the meter back by next week. They said it was a problem on the circuit board, and it was reading about 2 stops over.

~Joe

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe VanCleave View Post
    Do you know if Gossen themselves (now owned by Bogen) will perform repairs on these older meters, or do I have to find some 3rd party repair facility?

Gossen is not owned by Bogen. And their lightmeters are only a small part of their product range.
    http://www.gossen.de/english/seiten/...fcompanies.htm

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Just an update; I received my Luna Pro F in the mail from Quality Light Metric, earlier this week. The work was first-rate, the meter appears to be dead on accurate, and it includes a calibration sticker to boot!

Total bill was $78us. I would highly recommend them for meter repair. Great work, moderate cost and fast turnaround and shipping.

~Joe

Images
    My Luna Pro F has been right on the money and a pleasure to use for over 15 years. But last week the meter started sticking on until the battery ran down. I sent it to Quality Light Metric, but they said the whole circuit board has gone bad and they cannot fix it, but perhaps Bogen can. While I will miss that meter, I feel I got my money's worth. And I might get it fixed yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin