Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,434   Online: 817

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Problems firing with SB800 and Yashica Mat 124G

I'm new to this group. I'm also new to Medium Format as I recently purchased a Yashica Mat 124G and I'm trying to use my Nikon SB800 flash unit with it. From everything I've read using a simple PC cord should work fine, as long as the camera is set to X for flash mode, and the SB800 is set to anything other than TTL mode. I ordered and received a PC cord and tested it with no film in the camera, and it seemed to work fine, but once I got a bracket for it and tried to use it with film in the camera, the flash would intermittently not fire. I've tried lots of different settings on both the camera and the flash and the problem persists. Once I take the film out and test it again, the flash fires every time. Any insight on the cause would be greatly appreciated!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sagepunk View Post
    I'm new to this group. I'm also new to Medium Format as I recently purchased a Yashica Mat 124G and I'm trying to use my Nikon SB800 flash unit with it. From everything I've read using a simple PC cord should work fine, as long as the camera is set to X for flash mode, and the SB800 is set to anything other than TTL mode. I ordered and received a PC cord and tested it with no film in the camera, and it seemed to work fine, but once I got a bracket for it and tried to use it with film in the camera, the flash would intermittently not fire. I've tried lots of different settings on both the camera and the flash and the problem persists. Once I take the film out and test it again, the flash fires every time. Any insight on the cause would be greatly appreciated!

I've just solved my own problem. When using the SB800 Speedlight with the standby mode set to Auto, the flash unit goes into standby after each exposure. When using it with a Nikon DSLR, autofocusing takes the flash out of standby and readies it to fire. This is not the case when using it with a TLR and a simple PC cord. Once I went into the flash settings and turned standby mode off so that the unit was always on, the unit fires every time. The reason why it "seemed" like it was working with no film in the camera was because I was testing it by releasing the camera shutter several times in quick succession, whereas when there was film in the camera I was waiting a few minutes between exposures, allowing the flash to go into standby. It seems like a no brainer, I know, but I guess when you go from a fully automatic DSLR to a totally manual TLR, sometimes simple things can escape you. I'm just really glad I have it working now!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I had the same issue with my SB28. Keep it off standby mode unless using it on a modern Nikon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    yashica mat is old? :P
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    yashica mat is old? :P
    42 years could be considered old. When I started in photography a 42 year old Ermanox was not only "old" but was a museum piece as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi guys,
    Not the same type of camera in the discussion, but can someone tell me where the PC port is on a Mamiya C220? Also, what type of PC cord do i need to connect to an SB900? Should it be a doubble male?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The PC "ports" for all the Mamiya TLRs are on each of the various TLR lenses - each of the lenses includes a leaf shutter..

The cord would have to have the standard "female" PC connector on the camera end. I am not familiar with an SB900, so cannot advise about the connector at that end.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes double male pc cord should do it for the sb900.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I may have confused male PC with female PC
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gender confusion and flashers. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin