Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,681   Online: 857

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Using a flash on old camera (Yashica Mat 124)

Hi- I was wondering how I would use my ultra modern Canon 580EXII Speedlight with my ultra dated Yashica. I know I have to plug into the X sync (assuming it's working), but with what kind of cord????

Thanks,
    Tim
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    One of these
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flash-PC-Sync-...1%7C240%3A1318
    plus an old-style standard extension cable should do it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You should be able to just use a standard PC cable. I use my Nikon SB800 flash with my TLR via a PC cord. I often set the flash to Auto and enter the aperture value into the flash. The flash then delivers the right amount of exposure almost every time. You can, of course, also work in full manual mode. You can even use a remote trigger, such as a Pocket Wizard, and fire your flash wirelessly, which is what I often do.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use a standard PC cord to my Metz.

Make sure the camera is set to X (not FP? - I think thats what the alternative is labelled)

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too strange, I came here today to ask a very similar question. I borrowed a Metz 45 CL-4 to shoot with my Yashica-Mat LM. used a PC cord, set to "x" and dialed in the ISO and aperture on the flash. As I was shooting, all looked great and seemingly working fine. I processed my Velvia 100F late yesterday and took a look this morning. There are images, but extremely dark. Without a loop you would think it was just black. I believe I was set on 1/50 speed, but I was under the impression that if a Yashica TLR was set to "x" it would sync at all speeds. This this so?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup, it should sync at any speed as long as the shutter is set to "X".
    When the camera's empty look through the lens to see if the flash is going off with the shutter open. You should see a bright circle at whatever aperture you've set.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What where you photographing? Extremes can and will fool the sensor [Too light will lead to too little light. Too dark backgrounds will lead to too much]

Then there is distance. You weren't too far away?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, I will try that when I get home.

Nick, I was taking shots of Halloween guests at my party Friday night. Filling the frame with the 80mm that is on the TLR. Some inside shots with colored lighting and some outdoor shots, sheet light lit. F4, F5.6,F8 on varying shots. I have two rolls of B&W 400 I have not processed yet and wondering if I should push judging from the Velvia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At F/4 unless you set the film speed wrong I can't imagine the flash not having enough power. Unless they were all wearing white sheets like Casper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all- I'll look for a PC cord then.
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin