Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,319   Online: 829

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    IMO, the reflections are what make these types of pix interesting.
    I totally agree. To me any pictures of this type are made interesting at all but the interplay between the obvious point of focus and the 'commentary' in the reflections. If you get really lucky, you get an image where the two comment on each other. It's similar to double exposure, but the store window is doing it for you.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    Shove the lens right up against clean glass and go for it!
    Couldn't agree more, for killing reflections works a treat. There's a couple of shots in my flickr which show this very well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the incredibly useful and interesting feedback. I am definitely going with the idea of trying to use the reflections as an added element of the picture, rather than trying to eliminate them. I went out again the other day and had go at this. Here's one of the results ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails window9.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad to hear it! For some inspiration, check out some of Lee Friedlander's pix.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Glad to hear it! For some inspiration, check out some of Lee Friedlander's pix.
    I was just eyeing up a very large book of his work on Amazon last night ... I think I'll have to splash out on it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My friend Dinesh once got arrested for taking pictures through windows, but that's a story for another day
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Used to occasionally shoot shop windows commercially, ages ago, We hung up a huge curtain 12x25' of black velvet about 5 feet from the glass (at night) and poked the camera lens through a slit cut in the middle. result: NO reflections!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tac View Post
    Used to occasionally shoot shop windows commercially, ages ago, We hung up a huge curtain 12x25' of black velvet about 5 feet from the glass (at night) and poked the camera lens through a slit cut in the middle. result: NO reflections!

Yes, I use a smaller scale version of that when I shoot winning art show paintings for my local art club. I have about a five by seven foot dark cloth hung on a background stand and poke the camera through a slit in the middle. Works well with the watercolors which are always behind glass.

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Finally got around to uploading some more of these shots I have been doing. Any comments welcome ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails winding.jpg   next.jpg  
    I have a photo blog ... and a Flickr ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like them both, but 'really' like #2. Nice work.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin