Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,739   Online: 1019

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I take pics through windows often. As long as you don't notice a reflection in your camera's viewfinder, you should be find
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    IMO, the reflections are what make these types of pix interesting. I would use them rather than worrying about them. My only advice is to go out and shoot a lot, and to not think about the pix in literal terms, but in conceptual ones. Your pic is made by the reflection of the apartment in the top left, IMO.

I do agree with this. The use of a polariser, or the elimination of all reflections is very clinicial and cold. Unless reflections interfere with subject matter on the other side of the window, the inclusion of the world through reflections is more documentary and interesting. Windows alone are seldom interesting, though you can have a lot of fun with beautiful natural setups of colour, pattern and form in places like Tuscany, Greece, Italy and Copenhagen.

The image does not come up in my browser. Just a blank white screen. Hmmm.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Always shoot at an angle. You can even shoot flash through a window glass if you shoot at an angle less than 90 degress. The reflection of the flash goes off the window away from your camera position - just like a pool ball going off a rail.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you place your camera at an angle of 45 degrees with the glass surface you will avoid most reflections. As for metering, you may have to overexpose in some cases a glass surfaces have a bigger albedo than the other materials we usually photograph, I would say up to 2/3 of a stop.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was out taking a few more of these shots yesterday and had an interesting experience. A tale of two halves ...

My first stop was a wig shop where there were some interesting looking mannequins and great opportunities for reflections of people walking by. I had shot this before but not gotten it quite right so I wanted to try again. Anyway, a lady who was working in the shop noticed me doing this, I caught her eye and she smiled. A minute or so later she popped her head out and struck up a friendly conversation. She was into photography too and we had a nice chat for a few minutes about it. After a chatting for a while, a took a few more shots, thanked her, and moved on. All good ...

I then moved to a nearby street where there was a large clothing store with some mannequins with animal heads. I was in the middle of shooting these when next thing a lady from the shop comes out and tells me I am not "allowed" to take photographs of the window display. I kind of deliberately ignored her for a minute to finish the shot I was taking and then embarked on this ridiculous conversation with her whereby I tried to tell her that since this is a public street and the window display is the public face of their store she has no legal basis on which to tell me I am not allowed to take photographs. She didn't really take this in and just kept repeating that I am not allowed to take pictures .. blah blah blah. I told her that I was finished anyway but that she was wrong in what she was saying. She went back into the shop and just because I was irritated I took another one before moving on.

Now, my question is this. Am I correct? It strikes me that this may be something of a gray area. It's obviously the case that you are free to take pictures on a public street. It would not however be okay to take pictures inside the store (or at least the store are perfectly within their rights to make no photos a condition of entry). As I understand it, it is generally not okay to take pictures into a private premises from a public street (i.e. I can't sit in a tree across the road from your house and take pictures of you sunbathing in your garden). This could reasonably be extended to taking pictures into (e.g. through the door of) a store from the street. But what about a window display? Technically it is inside the store but on the other hand it's the public face of the store intended for public view ...

I'm aware that obviously this sort of thing varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction so its pretty hard to have a definitive answer. Also, whatever the exact legal status I am not going to let this inhibit me doing this. I am just curious and want to have my arguments prepared better next time ..

Hugh
    I have a photo blog ... and a Flickr ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMO, the reflections are what make these types of pix interesting. I would use them rather than worrying about them. My only advice is to go out and shoot a lot, and to not think about the pix in literal terms, but in conceptual ones. Your pic is made by the reflection of the apartment in the top left, IMO.
    Exactly, this is what I did in college for a class, it's fun to go on a Sunday morning when it's relatively quiet, and it's the unexpected that makes them special.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hughitb View Post
    I was out taking a few more of these shots yesterday and had an interesting experience. A tale of two halves ...

I then moved to a nearby street where there was a large clothing store with some mannequins with animal heads. I was in the middle of shooting these when next thing a lady from the shop comes out and tells me I am not "allowed" to take photographs of the window display. I kind of deliberately ignored her for a minute to finish the shot I was taking and then embarked on this ridiculous conversation with her whereby I tried to tell her that since this is a public street and the window display is the public face of their store she has no legal basis on which to tell me I am not allowed to take photographs. She didn't really take this in and just kept repeating that I am not allowed to take pictures .. blah blah blah. I told her that I was finished anyway but that she was wrong in what she was saying. She went back into the shop and just because I was irritated I took another one before moving on.

Now, my question is this. Am I correct? It strikes me that this may be something of a gray area. It's obviously the case that you are free to take pictures on a public street. It would not however be okay to take pictures inside the store (or at least the store are perfectly within their rights to make no photos a condition of entry). As I understand it, it is generally not okay to take pictures into a private premises from a public street (i.e. I can't sit in a tree across the road from your house and take pictures of you sunbathing in your garden). This could reasonably be extended to taking pictures into (e.g. through the door of) a store from the street. But what about a window display? Technically it is inside the store but on the other hand it's the public face of the store intended for public view ...

I'm aware that obviously this sort of thing varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction so its pretty hard to have a definitive answer. Also, whatever the exact legal status I am not going to let this inhibit me doing this. I am just curious and want to have my arguments prepared better next time ..

Hugh
    While I pesonally am respectful of people not wanting the privacy invaded by photography, this is one instance that I am can state that I would take the photograph anyway.

Why?

Because you legally have the right to take the photograph and she is legally wrong to harrass you. You could have called the police if she had continued and had her cited. And in this case, I would do both!

Steve
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 08-15-2009 at 10:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just tell her you are only photographing the glass, not the display. Then if she continues, ignore her like your deaf, and if she still continues, take her picture and tell her you freelance for the local papers and will make a report of her silly claims in an article, since its "news".
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I shot this through a window and it kinda worked out well, now I am always looking for these types of shots as you can get unexpected results!

Last edited by Davec101; 08-16-2009 at 02:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great shot!
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin