Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,791   Online: 904

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm
    Most of this thread seems to be about reflections on the glass. But suppose you are meterless and inside. It's a sunny day outside and your subject is in the sun. Sunny 16 would work considering your subject is in the sun, but there is a pane of glass between you. How much light does window glass block?

I think that it is not very much and probably insignificant, but it has caused me to wonder before. Especially when in a car and shooting at something outside the car, because care glass seems to be green-tinted. How many stops ND are cosmetically tinted windows like limo windows?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I take photographs of a window, I usually take two photographs, one with a polarizer and one without a polarizer. Later, I decide which one I like the best.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Depends if the glass is tinted, for one. Since this thought experiment assumes you're meterless, and I'm assuming you have some experience in judging exposures, then I'd recommend viewing the scene outside directly, then coming inside and viewing it through the window, and judging your exposure accordingly. Since there are no standards for window transparency, especially with the possibility of some special coating or treatment on the glass, what else could you do?

Oh, and bracket your exposures.

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe VanCleave View Post
    Depends if the glass is tinted, for one. Since this thought experiment assumes you're meterless, and
    Bad assumption - I use a meter.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Bad assumption - I use a meter.
    The thought experiment started saying "suppose you are meterless and [...]" though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    After trying to remember where i put the thing, some rummaging, trying to think again, some more opening of bags, cabinets, and boxes, and finally finding my spot meter, i just gave it a try.

I can report that, pointing the thing at the same something, both direct and through a regular window pane, it makes no difference at all as long as there is no battery in the meter.
    Must go shop for some...
    :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    After trying to remember where i put the thing, some rummaging, trying to think again, some more opening of bags, cabinets, and boxes, and finally finding my spot meter, i just gave it a try.

I can report that, pointing the thing at the same something, both direct and through a regular window pane, it makes no difference at all as long as there is no battery in the meter.
    Must go shop for some...
    :o
    That's why I love my L-508. Incident and spot, and it uses a single AA battery.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin