Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 767

I am new to manual settings. I use an Olympus C50. I can use auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, full manual or program (night, sports, etc.) For dim subways what is a good aperture or shutter speed to get such photos.

Sorry if this is old hat to the pros ont his board.

Images
    That would depend on the amount of available light and the speed of your film. You might want to keep the aperature as wide as possible so that you can use a faster shutter speed to avoid blur but there's no right and wrong, many shots benefit from blur to show motion. Nothing beats experimenting for yourself and finding what appeals to your eye.

Welcome to APUG!
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

I use a digital camera- an Olympus C-50. I have no adjustment for "film speed" :-)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by subwaybuff
    I use a digital camera
    Eek! :o

I guess that you can use the the aperature priority setting and choose the widest aperature so that the camera will always use the fastest shutter speed possible but we're out of my realm of experience.
    =Neal W.=

Thanks. One last newbie question- wide aperture: is that a larger or smaller number. When usign shutetr priority is afaster shutetr speed larger or smaller f stop

Thanks. One last newbie question- wide aperture: is that a larger or smaller number. When using shutter priority is a faster shutter speed larger or smaller f stop,

Images
    Lower number = wider aperture
    Using a faster shutter speed will require a wider aperture
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by subwaybuff
    I use a digital camera- an Olympus C-50. I have no adjustment for "film speed" :-)
    Not entirely true. The C50 has a variable ISO from 80 to 320 This can be set to change automatically or you can manually set the ISO.

Even though this site specializes in analog photography and we tend to not discuss our digital toys based on my own experience I would stick with manually selecting your ISO speeds. Lower speed = less grain. But for lower light situations you end up using higher ISOs and sacrificing quality in order to get the shot at all.

Cheers,
    Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    From my recollection of photographs on the London Underground, given ASA 400, 1/60 at f2.8 produces acceptable results.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin