Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,370   Online: 1136

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

using digital to get a "polaroid" from a studio scene?

hello,

i was wondering, could i use our small digital camera as a light tester in the studio? before shooting on film?
    if i put the iso settings and time and diafragm as i use on the analog camera do i get a good idea of how the final film print will become? (using standard developing times of course)
    in the old days i used polaroid in the school studio but that is a long time ago...
    Last edited by TomStr; 03-13-2009 at 03:48 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: not complete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I do this with a DSLR & studio flash but it's not really a topic for discussion on APUG

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    goh, i know, but my main goal is to take pictures on black and white FILM, not d*gital. i just want to use the d*gital to create a preview for my film shoot. to rule out wrong lights, dark spots...
    Thanks anyway!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The answer is yes, it's very useful & many film photographers use this method, e.g. studio photographers & large format landscape.

Shooter
    35mm
    @ goldie
    thanks a lot!!! now ill have more fum in the studio this sunday!!! and more good negs too!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why don't you just use Polaroid? I know they stopped producing their films, but Fuji makes them now.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    i have no large format camera with polaroid back. i use 35mm film. hence no polaroid...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A bit more confidence in your own skills, and/or perhaps a bit more time taken to ponder the scene you are trying to capture, and you do not need Polaroids.

They only were usefull anyway to show other people who were not sure about your skills that you did indeed know what you are doing.

But seriously!
    Reminds me of a talk given by a german photographer and advertising man (i wasn't there, but have seen it as MP3), mainly about art directors (the Alfa Romeo bunch). My memory of it is not perfect, but the gist of it is very clear.
    Broaching the subject of Polaroids, and the inane demand to see (preferably many) Polaroids, he folded a bit of paper, tore it so that when unfolded again it formed a frame, held it up, and shouted (to the art directors) "there is your f***ing Polaroid!".
    Very right he was.

Shooter
    35mm
    i agree, but to form your skills you need to practice and train a lot, and to do so without making dozens of "bad" pics, making small changes in the light setup and not really knowing what it is going to do to the final picture...
    so i think that for training purposes the digital polaroid can come in handy...
    of course i dont want to take away the creative aspect in the dark room but when i shoot a whole film without "polaroid" and get 2 "good" pics i rather use digital to test and get 10 good pics out of my film ;-)
    perhaps when im famous you can see me shouting and cursing about the purpose of polaroid ;-)
    until than, everything that can help me is welcome ;-)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Of course.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin