Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,579   Online: 791

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Large Format
    As I look back to the period during which I purchased the Picker reference print, I seem to remember that I didn't have a clue of where print tonal values could lie or what a good paper could provide. I think that his prints did seem to give me some idea of that. I think that Picker's print was about as useful as Howard Bond's workshop was in that regard. I think that they were about the same cost as I recall.

Was Picker guilty of deception? I don't think so. If I think that I am about to buy a print worth more then he was charging then I am going to be disappointed. Is it Picker's business practices or is it my inherent unrealistic expectations that would benefit from examination?

I don't think that any of us would sell a print that we worked hours to produce today for what Picker sold those prints for, even adjusted for inflation in the intervening period. He was explicit, as I recall, that these prints he was selling were produced without a great deal of manipulation. Is that deception?

I felt that I received value for my expenditure. That has not always been my experience with photographic matters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A fine print is not defined by the amount of manipulation it receives so I cannot agree with you there Don, however, I do agree the print that I purchased did show the range of tones that particular paper was able to produce. Perhaps it is because I do know a little more about his ethics and business practices from a close friend who worked with him for many years that makes me critical. Clearly, it is wrong to discuss these on an open forum especially since Fred Picker has passed away. Perhaps I was naive when I purchased the print but it was bought because Picker did imply that it was the next best thing to an Ansel Adams.

Shooter
    Large Format
    After I bought my Zone VI enlarger I bought the video and print thinking that someone who thought of such a great enlarger had a point with having a "reference" print that showed how things should be printed. If I recall correctly it was a snow and water shot.

I was terribly dissapointed when I got the video and print. The video did not show anything that I had not read before in other books and the print, well, it was pretty crappy. I would have thought he would have sent a print with full tonal range, what I got was black water and white snow, not a single gray in the print. While some might argue that this was done to show how blacks and whites should be printed, IMO the print was not that good even in those parts.

While a lot of his products did what he advertised they did ( I swear by the compensating devloping timer!) a few of his claims were deceptive, like fixer is heavier than water.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I own one of Fred's fine prints. It's a good one and shows a great deal of skill in making a print.

I am told that the "reference" prints weren't very good.

Posts here seem to confirm this.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I admire FP's courage to really make a go of it (the business of photography), to be visible and open to criticism and attack both as a businessman and artist. As a matter of taste, his work does not appeal to me but he certainly had a lot of skill and this I respect above all. I believe that this shows care for his artistic endeavours as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back to the film speed testing, I have been working on finding my own film speed and have found many of the text a little wanting in information. While doing a search I found that one of our own APUG members, ThomHarrop has a very nice article still up at Photovision, link - http://www.photovisionmagazine.com/a...nd-harrop.html

Thomas, after reading the article I went out and ran a couple of rolls through my camera, processed and will printing this morning. Your description/explanation got through this thick old head better than any others have so far.

Thanks, will update results later.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Back to the film speed testing, I have been working on finding my own film speed and have found many of the text a little wanting in information. While doing a search I found that one of our own APUG members, ThomHarrop has a very nice article still up at Photovision, link - http://www.photovisionmagazine.com/a...nd-harrop.html

Thomas, after reading the article I went out and ran a couple of rolls through my camera, processed and will printing this morning. Your description/explanation got through this thick old head better than any others have so far.

Thanks, will update results later.
    I hope it works for you. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Thom

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin