Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,180   Online: 866

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    So, one could achieve this affect even with a camera having horizontal shutter curtains by rotating the camera from landscape to portrait orientation?
    Yes. However, as the one fellow mentioned, the curtain moving slowly is a necessity.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    On old Graflex shutters, there's a tension setting that controls the speed of the curtain travel and a slit width setting that controls the amount of light let in by the shutter. Some of these shutters had a set of fixed slits on a long single curtain, and some had a single adjustable slit with two curtains, which was a bit less reliable, being more complex.

On my 5x7 Press Graflex (a camera much like the one Lartigue used in his famous racing photo), it takes up to about 1/5 sec for the shutter to travel the height of the film gate, depending on the tension setting, but there are four slit widths, so at the highest tension with the smallest slit, I can have a shutter speed of 1/1500 sec.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    this effect is still visible in current-model high-performance SLRs: you just need faster-moving subjects like propellers to make it visible.

edit: "Hi, Hoffy!"... I ain't stalking you, only noticed whose thread it was after I posted

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a great animated explanation of the same effect in Jacques Henri Lartigue's image "Grand Prix de Circuit de la Seine", here;

Jacques Henri Lartigue and his camera
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=31903

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really! And all this time I thought that the old cars leaned forward, just as the old cars leaned into the turn! :o

I always knew that I could never get my car to do that.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use this effect and its really easy.
    I use my KOWA6 MM which has a 't' setting on the shutter. I have a piece of cardboard cut with a slot in it about 1-2mm wide and edged with fogged sheet film.
    Place the cardboard so that it covers the lens. Open the shutter and then draw the slot across the lens, then shut the shutter. There. Sorted. see here and here .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ha Ha!!! My old car still does leans in the turns, and when going fast (if I can peddle fast enough) it actually leans back, if it wasn't for the gum and duct tape well.... that's another story.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlapp View Post
    I use this effect and its really easy.
    I use my KOWA6 MM which has a 't' setting on the shutter. I have a piece of cardboard cut with a slot in it about 1-2mm wide and edged with fogged sheet film.
    Place the cardboard so that it covers the lens. Open the shutter and then draw the slot across the lens, then shut the shutter. There. Sorted. see here and here .
    very nice!
    the only times i do it is
    with my graflex &C cameras
    it is good to know there are other techniques
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Taking photographs showing a vehicle leaning forward is part of my fascination with getting a Speed Graphic or equivalent.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting. I've often wondered about this effect being possible but never really paid attention to real world examples.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin