Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,053   Posts: 1,561,229   Online: 1106

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand what is going on, but still I love those pictures!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    this effect is still visible in current-model high-performance SLRs: you just need faster-moving subjects like propellers to make it visible.

edit: "Hi, Hoffy!"... I ain't stalking you, only noticed whose thread it was after I posted
    Howdy Poly. Nice to see you over here.

To be honest, I have never really noticed it with the props. I suppose when ever I have taken aviation pics, I have tried to blur the props, so you can't tell. I also suppose that you would just about need to be face on to get the same effect in that scenario (& of course, we are talking high performance current FILM slr's )

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    of course we are Have you tried the 28-75/2.8 on your 7000 yet? Is it working as well as expected?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, I haven't!! When ever I have had a chance, its been horrible weather!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is very interesting stuff. I wouldn't mind trying the effect out for myself. Which model Graflex's have the slow moving slit-type shutter? Did they only make them certain years?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any of the focal plane shutter equipped graphics should do the job.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoung View Post
    Any of the focal plane shutter equipped graphics should do the job.
    Thanks, I've been thinking of a 4x5 for handheld stuff for a while, and one that would also add the possibility of this effect would be interesting.

Shooter
    35mm
    So this would also work (sorta?) on a modern 35mm slr, like a Canon AE-1P? Or would it not? It would depend more on the shutter speed (the width of the focal plane slit)? I sure dont fully understand this. Can you tell? Also, why is the front tire more exaggerated than the rear tire on the race car? Just wondering.

paulie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes it would work with a 35mm SLR.
    There is only one constant and that is that you must use a shutter that exposes the film via a slit/slot/window traveling vertically across the film plane.
    Everything else is determined by the relationship between the shutter speed and the speed of the target.
    To a degree, the effect comes from slow shutter relative to the target but if you get the shutter speed too slow, all you get is a blurry mess.
    You would have to do some experimenting with different shutter speeds to find the sweet spot if you were trying for a deliberate effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It was caused by the focal plane shutters in Speed Graphics. Due to the travel of the shutter, the top of the car would get a slightly earlier exposure than the bottom, resulting in the leaning effect.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin