Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,536,986   Online: 1192

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

The old Motor Sport car "Leaning Forward" effect

Howdy,

Firstly, I am not trying to get this kind of effect, I am just curious on what may cause it.

I have seen many motor sport pictures from the first few decades of the 20th century, where the cars appear to be leaning forward and have often wondered what causes that effect:

http://crashingthegoalie.files.wordp...8a93fa1a_d.jpg

Now, my guess is its due to the slow nature of the actual shutter movement. Am I correct? Does anyone know what causes this?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Focalplaneshutter with "slow" movement. In other words Yes you are right
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And if the photographer panned, the buildings will lean backwards too, wierd looking

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it was caused by vertically moving shutters and (compared to today) relatively slow shutter speeds.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The focal plane shutters in press cameras traveled vertically...in fact, they still do! At slow enough curtain speeds (correction by Soeren), the car in motion was in a different spot when the shutter slit ended its travel as when it began it.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-19-2009 at 06:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    just to add onto 2f's post
    a lot of the focal plane shutters were slots in a fabric
    that traveled from top to bottom on the film plane.

this can be done easily today with a press camera ( like a speed graphic )
    or a graflex slr type camera ..

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    The focal plane shutters in press cameras traveled vertically...in fact, they still do! At slow enough shutter speeds, the car in motion was in a different spot when the shutter slit ended its travel as when it began it.
    Hmm Im sure you mean the speed of the curtains (which is constant) cause the "shutter speed" is made from the width of the gap between the curtains. So you can have "high shutterspeeds" using slow curtains.
    Best regards

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Hmm Im sure you mean the speed of the curtains (which is constant) cause the "shutter speed" is made from the width of the gap between the curtains. So you can have "high shutterspeeds" using slow curtains.
    Best regards
    I agree with that. If you look at the picture of the Marmon Wasp, you can see that there is a clear stopping of the action, but the car is still leaning. This suggests to me that the shutter speed was relatively quick, but the actual shutter movement was slow.

Thanks guys for your responses!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, one could achieve this affect even with a camera having horizontal shutter curtains by rotating the camera from landscape to portrait orientation?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Best regards
    Yes, you are right. Sloppy and incorrect use of terminology on my part. I should have added that the curtain moving slowly combined with the fast shutter from a tiny slit is what causes it. I assumed it was common knowledge that the width of the slit on a shutter is used to control the quote-unquote "speed" (the exposure time), even though it is not technically changing the speed of the curtain by definition of the word speed.

I also hinted at exactly what John said: This can, of course, still be done today. Any Speed Graphic or similarly featured camera will do it.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-19-2009 at 06:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin