Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,365   Online: 960

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Detecting flare

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    I begin to think that these bright sources can find a spot where a longer shade is needed (to block them from the field of view of the lens - which is slightly larger than the field captured in the format's frame, i.e. the light enters the lens even though the source is just outside the frame)
    This is actually a very good point! As I shoot LF too, the concept of the usable image circle of a lens is not alien to me. And even in SLR, the image circle of the lenses is slightly larger than the actual image projected on the film. This is especially so for the longer site of the frame (36mm), there will be a larger unused part of the image circle there. So when shooting vertical shots, as I often do and also in the shot above, the chances are probably bigger that you miss a flare source to the right and left of the frame, again as in this case on the right.

So, like you suggest, the flare might actually be caused by light hitting the lens in a part that will NOT project onto the viewfinders mirror, so you will never really be able to detect it in the viewfinder, but it might hit just outside the frame in the back of the camera body and cause a flare due to a strong reflection inside the camera.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If I am aiming the camera any where near the sun or other bright light sources, I always go round to the front of the camera and check for direct light falling across the front element and/or filter.

Of course the camera needs to be tripod mounted :rolleyes:

Its easy with the sun - the shadows are distinct, but you can do it at night with a little care.

At night when I am at the front of the camera and looking directly down the barrel of the lens, I use my hand a lens shade - you can see the shadow your hand makes reasonably easily.

I can then use my Ground Glass Protector as a Flag for the lens

There are times when it just is not possible to shade the front element - when the light source is right at the edge of the frame - but at least you know before you choose to shoot

Martin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin