Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,540   Online: 1036

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fireflies

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did try this experiment last year with a 35mm camera with a wide angle lens and 400 speed Fuji 400 Superia open for about 2-5 minutes. I was a little underwhelmed at the results but did manage to capture a images of the glowey buggers doing them loopdiloops of love.

The wide angle compressed the shots, so the already small flight path got compressed even more on a small film format.

It was fun all the same being in the meadow together with these little sugar pixies and witnessing their 2 weeks of airborn freedom as they rejoice from emerging from their pupae stage from underground for 2 years.

However the poor buggers starve themselves to death during the process to pass their torch along, and this is really a tragedy. If they only knew how to eat.

On top of that, there are sneaky ambush fireflies, from what I hear in the latest scientific firefly research, that attack/canabalize unsuspecting male flashers.

So mayhaps perchance this summer I'll take out the RZ and see if I can get closer in on their flight patterns some how.

Cheers
    I brake for fixer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What was the f stop that worked best for you, WolfTales?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well I said to hoots with reciprocity of failure and just left the lens wide open for 2-5 minutes at a time at F1.8

Thats the shot I actually managed to get something discernable. At f16, it was too dark to see the glow trails.

If I try it again this summer I will go with a normal lens and choose a field with a higher concentration of glowworms to darkness ratio and faster color film like 800...
    I brake for fixer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

"Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think George H. Seeley's "The Firefly" is my all-time favorite photograph. I managed to acquire a copy several years ago.

I always am pleasantly surprised and amazed when they suddenly appear around here. It seems they were a couple weeks later this year. I hope that does not portend a dire ecological situation.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cknapp1961 View Post
    Sounds interesting, hope to see these images posted. I have thought about trying to photograph fire flies, they were everywhere in Southwest Michigan.

I have been stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC for seven years and have never seen any here.
    Wow! How did you manage to get the same command for seven years!? Or is it different commands at the same post?

In the submarine field I was in, it was 1-1/2 to 2 years training, then:

* First Sea Tour: 4 to 4-1/2 years
    * First Shore Tour: 3 years
    * Second Sea Tour: 5 years
    * Second Shore Tour: 3 years
    * Third Sea Tour: 3 years
    * Third Shore Tour: 3 years
    * Fourth Sea Tour: 3 years
    * Forth Shore Tour: 3 years

Even if you volunteered for back-to-back sea tours, they moved you to a different boat, and likely a different base altogether.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfTales View Post
    Well I said to hoots with reciprocity of failure and just left the lens wide open for 2-5 minutes at a time at F1.8

Thats the shot I actually managed to get something discernable. At f16, it was too dark to see the glow trails.

If I try it again this summer I will go with a normal lens and choose a field with a higher concentration of glowworms to darkness ratio and faster color film like 800...
    Thank you.

Are you positive it was f/1.8? That is not too common on wides. Which wide-angle f/1.8 lens do you have?
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go with WolfTales' advise - wide open, 1 second to minutes, and fast film in a very dark field.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cknapp1961 View Post
    Sounds interesting, hope to see these images posted. I have thought about trying to photograph fire flies, they were everywhere in Southwest Michigan.
    Having lived in SE Michigan for 40 some years I can vouch for the firefly population. I remember a story from about 33 years ago about some guys sharing a pipe one night in the woods behind my folks house. As they stood in a circle passing the pipe back and forth an abundant flock of fire flies flew around them until one flew into the pipe itself -- sizzling like a tiny sirloin as it flared up for the last time. No photo's were taken to my knowledge.
    Last edited by jd callow; 07-09-2009 at 11:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple of years ago I was returning home just after midnight from a trip to Des Moines, IA. I drove into an area of thousands of fireflies. I felt a little bit bad as they kept hitting the windshield, their chemical entrails leaving a ghostly glow on the glass for several seconds after their demise.

I stopped the car got out and was mesmerized by the number of them in the fields all around.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin