Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,008   Online: 757

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    And stacking two polarizers, with a linear one in front, will yield only a continously variable ND effect.
    I thought this was interesting.
    No doubt others already know this.
    If you set and hold the front one at the correct angle setting to filter out reflections etc, then you can rotate the rear one to act as a ND filter and have both effects.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I built a vari-ND recently using two CPLs joined with a reversing ring. You can see the results (tested on digital) here.

Summary: it's good for about 9 stops attenuation without too much effort. Maybe more, but I ran into issues with (I think but am not sure) the bayer mask on the sensor - probably wouldn't have that problem with film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    And a LP and LP. Or a CP and a CP.

Just so this point is clear: it does not depend on being either a linear or circular polarizer. It's not a linear vs circular thing, but a good vs less good thing.
    ...and no obvious way to tell the difference without testing it yourself, or finding a photo mag or online site to conduct a comprehensive evaluation.

Thanks, Q.G. for taking my comments beyond my issue and into a broader context.

I guess I'll stick with the CP's I own, even though I don't need them for my MF, non-AE cameras.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

--Greg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin