Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,779   Posts: 1,671,179   Online: 818

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I built a vari-ND recently using two CPLs joined with a reversing ring. You can see the results (tested on digital) here.

Summary: it's good for about 9 stops attenuation without too much effort. Maybe more, but I ran into issues with (I think but am not sure) the bayer mask on the sensor - probably wouldn't have that problem with film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    And a LP and LP. Or a CP and a CP.

Just so this point is clear: it does not depend on being either a linear or circular polarizer. It's not a linear vs circular thing, but a good vs less good thing.
    ...and no obvious way to tell the difference without testing it yourself, or finding a photo mag or online site to conduct a comprehensive evaluation.

Thanks, Q.G. for taking my comments beyond my issue and into a broader context.

I guess I'll stick with the CP's I own, even though I don't need them for my MF, non-AE cameras.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

--Greg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin