Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,890   Online: 988

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

XA as lightmeter?

I'm thinking of using my screwmount Leica to shoot slide film, and I'm not accurate enough to estimate for slides, at least not yet!
    Therefore, I need a lightmeter to use. I have a Pentax Spotmeter V, but it is far too large to carry around everywhere, plus it is pretty conspicuous.

I've been thinking of using the Olympus XA as a meter, setting the ISO of the film on the XA, selecting a aperture, and reading the shutter speed in the VF. I've compared it to my spotmeter, and it is pretty accurate, though obviously slightly less so because of the wider area. However, exposures checked using a DSLR turned out well.

So, do you think this is a viable option, at least until I save enough for a Gossen Digisix or something similar in size?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are happy with the results, exposure wise, when shooting slide film in the XA, then there is no reason you can't use it as a meter for the Leica.
    The results will depend some on how the Leica's shutter compares to the XA's for timing accuracy, but shooting a roll will tell you if you need to do any compensations, unless you happen to have a shutter tester.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Slide in the XA is great, with it exposing for the highlights in tricky situations[high contrast light coming only from a single window] and of course, the XA shutter being electronic, it will be slightly more accurate, but the Leica has had a shutter service recently, and is quite accurate as well.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have you ever thought of getting a Sekonic Studio lichtmeter ?
    They are small and reliable and you can use both lightmetering methodes if you wish.

The XA as lightmeter ? Why not, if you feel comfortable with it !

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Peter, the Sekonic looks really useful, though one of my reasons for using the XA is that I cannot afford another meter right now.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I used a Minolta XG-M as a light meter for my M645j once. But I was lucky. You need to make sure that the exposure on both cameras match or you risk the exposure being, albeit only slightly.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin