Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,611   Online: 945

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nope, not necessarily natural looking, more just natural lighting. I'm not sure I can do the changing of the focal lengths on LF. I think it might look really weird. Plus, my long focal length on this camera is only 355 vs the 270 I would use, not much difference, but an interesting thought nonetheless.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not trying to tell anyone to do anything. I am just listing some tools that can be used. How or whether you choose to employ them to achieve your desired aesthetic values is something that I personally would not attempt to tell you, though there are many who would. I figured it was a given that I was just offering up some techniques without straying into the realm of offering aesthetic advice.

As for the changing of focal lengths, it would look similarly weird on any format.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    To get that moon shot using analog methods, you can use a multiple exposure. The landscape lit by the full moon should have a calculated (meaning not factoring in reciprocity failure) exposure of about 15 minutes at f/8, using a 100 film. The moon itself (full) should have an exposure of '125 at f/11 on a clear night. Make the moon shot first, sit around and twiddle your thumbs until it moves out of the composition, then make the shot of the landscape. You can even cheat and use a longer lens to shoot the moon and a wider lens to shoot the landscape.
    I'd do it the other way around: shoot the landscape at dusk, then put in the moon later.

It will always show that it is a cheat, though. The direction of the light will give it away (not just when you shoot at dusk first).

You could also shoot the landscape, including moon, when it isn't dark yet and the moon is already out (or when the moon is still out and it's getting light again).
    But only, of course, if you can then still get the moon over the landscape where you want it to be.
    You will also need to be far north enough this time of year to have short nights.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    I'd do it the other way around: shoot the landscape at dusk, then put in the moon later.

It will always show that it is a cheat, though. The direction of the light will give it away (not just when you shoot at dusk first).

You could also shoot the landscape, including moon, when it isn't dark yet and the moon is already out (or when the moon is still out and it's getting light again).
    But only, of course, if you can then still get the moon over the landscape where you want it to be.
    You will also need to be far north enough this time of year to have short nights.
    Yes. I like shooting the moon and/or using multiple exposures using dusk light (or early morning light).

It does not look the same as a landscape shot at night and illuminated by the full moon, though. This looks like a very eerie daylight as opposed to a soft dusk light.

Here is a page that I found in a quick search: http://brokentripod.com/MOONLIGHT2/LOTMoon2.html. Unfortunately the pix are of low quality and there is not a ton of technical information, but it gives you the idea.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-06-2009 at 03:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added link
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin