Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,447   Online: 784

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first trip

Shooter
    35mm RF

My first trip

Today I was out on a jetti at the beach setting up on the edge of it to make an exposure of the surf. I had my tripod set out on the edge of the jetti on the rocks and my gear in the center for protection. I went back to grab my bronica etr after making sure the tripod was steady and hopped across two rocks to it. I got the necessary equipment and jumped back. At that instant both my feet landed on a slick, slimy, algae surface that blended in with the rock and I did not see, and immediately both came out from under me and I flew through the air and landed on my back/ left elbow. My etr flew into the air and bounced once off the rock. My
    mind screamed as the second bounce would be at the bottom of a crevace. I kicked off the rock, sound around to my front and grabbed it out of the air, stood up shaken. The first thing I checked was my camera, the glass and mechanics seemed ok, what a tank. I then noticed my bleeding elbow. I took off my shirt and tied it over the wound to stop the bleeding and went on with my shot, a bit in pain and shaken, but determined. I was very lucky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good thing you're young enough to bounce without breaking bones. My 1st instinct would be to save the camera as well but I might end up calling 911.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You've definitely got your priorities right, Nikanon! Camera first, then body!
    S°ren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

DLM
    Shooter
    35mm
    That's been one of my worst fears when out shooting. I like to go out just before civil twilight around the rocks/jettys at the beach, and i'm always worried of stepping on the wrong rock and have my gear go down.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvistgaard View Post
    You've definitely got your priorities right, Nikanon! Camera first, then body!
    Bodies are self healing, cameras are not - not yet anyway!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For all who wish to know, here are the fruits of my pain as told above, http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2620/...a119fd1267.jpg, this is the photograph i was trying to make in the scenario above and i do feel it was worth it ( although the cut on my arm hasn't healed yet, haha)
    Last edited by Nikanon; 08-12-2009 at 10:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: incorrect grammar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    nice,worth a little blood.

Shooter
    35mm
    One of the great fictions in photography is that you can capture great images without getting wet. The object lesson in this saying is to go ahead an get wet right from the get-go. It's usually the natural tendancey to stay dry, acting like a cat around water, that leads us into trouble. When taking a water shot, I've always tried to tell myself that I not only want a great image, but I want to be able to tell someone looking at the image, "Yea, I was in up to my armpits getting that one..." I haven't always been successful, especially in winter.

Denis K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis K View Post
    One of the great fictions in photography is that you can capture great images without getting wet. The object lesson in this saying is to go ahead an get wet right from the get-go. It's usually the natural tendancey to stay dry, acting like a cat around water, that leads us into trouble. When taking a water shot, I've always tried to tell myself that I not only want a great image, but I want to be able to tell someone looking at the image, "Yea, I was in up to my armpits getting that one..." I haven't always been successful, especially in winter.

Denis K
    I wonder if Eric Rose has a photograph that might illustrate this point?

Matt

P.S. I think he just might!

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum49/4...tml#post508511
    Last edited by MattKing; 08-13-2009 at 01:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: found the link

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I wonder if Eric Rose has a photograph that might illustrate this point?

Matt

P.S. I think he just might!

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum49/4...tml#post508511
    The eyes! The eyes! My eyes are burning!

But yes it is appropriate here.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin