Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,695   Online: 858

Shooter
    Multi Format

Why am I getting these weird stripes?

I'm shooting using a Nikon F5 and bulk-loaded film in plastic canisters. I'm getting some weird stripes on each roll of film lately. I'm attaching a couple of sample images, and I'm hoping someone might be able to give me an idea of what's causing the stripes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stripes.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	14913
    An image that has the stripes (I'm talking about the 2 dark lines near the center of the image)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stripes-detail.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	14914
    Detail of the stripes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the stripes are all the way along the roll, then it could be dust in the dust traps of either the bulk loader or the film cassette scratching the film.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would guess there is dirt on the felt of either the bulk loader (if it has felt, some don't) or in the cassette. You could try a factory roll to see if it disappears or if remains, then look at the camera.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This looks like it is caused by uneven pressure on the film or dirt but not enough to scratch. This can happen anywhere the film makes contact with something else. If same on multiple rolls - camera or bulk loader. Variable from roll to roll - film cans.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just got 2 rolls of 120 TriX back from the lab that had these same stripes. Since I was using an SL66, don't think it was caused by the camera and I've never seen them before. I blamed the lab and of course they said it must have been in the emulsion.

Shooter
    35mm
    You might want to try running a roll or two of store-bought (non-bulk) film through the camera as a diagnostic. If the stripes persist with that film, then you can be pretty sure that the problem is in your camera; if not, and if they reappear with the next roll of bulk film you shoot, then you can be pretty sure the problem is in the bulk loader or conceivably the bulk film you're using.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you squeegee your film after processing? I've had similar looking marks on my negs when I used to use one. Quick advice is - don't use a squeegee......ever!
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Greg, you can do a couple tests to find the problem. To check the film itself, cut a small piece straight from the can and develop it to see if it's OK. Then try a store bought roll through the camera. This will leave the film canisters and the loader itself. To test the loader, run film through like you are loading, but don't actually put the film into a canister. I would do this in complete darkness. If you still don't get the marks, try a roll from a can you loaded and see if that is the culprit.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the same lab processing both films? If it is I'd think about changing labs or DIY.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin