Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,551   Posts: 1,544,904   Online: 918

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Go to www.stellariumMcom and download the free software.
    Chris,

Can't find it when i go to where you go to when you put a "." where the "M" is in the link above.
    Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There's some good site to check out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kitathome...tAndCamera.htm and sub_links
    http://www.thenocturnes.com/

what you want to do:
    http://www.lostamerica.com/technique.html

and when the magic happens:
    http://www.thenightskye.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am bumping this up.
    2F/2F said that he uses a 55mm. Would a 135mm be pushing the limit a little? I have tried getting Star trails before on my Nikon using a 50mm at f/16 for 25 mins. I don't know if I might have bumped the tripod or pressed the shutter too hard but when I developed the film, the picture came out black. (No I didn't leave the lens cap on!) I have a 28mm wide angle, I assume that would be sufficient to use. Or would it change the exposure time at all? I am hooked on this and want to learn more!
    My weapons consist of 11 cameras. And counting... Be afraid.

We are the makers of music, The dreamers of dreams.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nightfly can help us all out with this!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never use f:16 for star shots. When everything's at practically infinity, you certainly don't need the DOF. 2F/2F was right in saying that aperture is the key, but it's absolute aperture that counts with point sources like stars, that is the measured diameter of the aperture, not the ratio of aperture to focal length. Shooting with a 3.125 mm diameter aperture (50mm @ f:16) on any lens will get you pretty much nothing every time. Shoot at full aperture or stopped down only a stop or so. Stars will quickly tell you about your lens aberrations. Use the lens appropriate for what field of view you want, but longer and faster lenses have much larger aperture diameters, and so gather more starlight much more quickly than wider angle lenses. The best book on this stuff is Robert Reeves, Wide-Field Astrophotography. He has an older book out for film, and a newer one for digital. Get the one on film if you're shooting film. You'll save yourself a lot of time and discouragement and get better a lot faster with this book. Random internet advice and suppositions aren't the way to go.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by jcorll View Post
    I am bumping this up.
    2F/2F said that he uses a 55mm. Would a 135mm be pushing the limit a little? I have tried getting Star trails before on my Nikon using a 50mm at f/16 for 25 mins. I don't know if I might have bumped the tripod or pressed the shutter too hard but when I developed the film, the picture came out black. (No I didn't leave the lens cap on!) I have a 28mm wide angle, I assume that would be sufficient to use. Or would it change the exposure time at all? I am hooked on this and want to learn more!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Lee!
    I am trying to get more and more into photography as I have been playing around with it for about 2 years now. Any advice is good advice for me!
    My weapons consist of 11 cameras. And counting... Be afraid.

We are the makers of music, The dreamers of dreams.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would use Provia 100F with a f/5.6 aperture and a wide angle to normal lens. Compose with something interesting like trees, mountains, etc. Expose from 30 minutes to a few hours. You will need a dark sky for long exposures, so no Moon or city lights. Light pollution will limit your exposure times.

Kodak E200 is a good film as well. Here is a one hour shot Pentax 67, 105mm @ f/5.6 with E200 pushed 2 stops (forgive me, most of the images on the roll required this). I would only push this film one stop for star trail use and only under very dark skies. For star trails, MF film rules!

Last edited by Nightfly; 09-02-2009 at 08:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Film? What's that? It's like digital, only better

Flickr - Nightfly Photography
    Nightfly Astrophotography

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin