Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,137   Online: 861

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Placing slides standing on the edge along a fence.

Back off about 50 feet [~15 meters]

Take a pistol, aim it at the first slide, pull the trigger slowly. When a hole appears in the slide, repeat the process with the next slide until all the slides have been shot or you are out of ammunition.

Steve
    Steve, even that is "shooting slides", with an s...unless of course you just shoot one of them!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Placing slides standing on the edge along a fence. Please verify that nothing living or important is in the background.

Back off about 50 feet [~15 meters]

Take a pistol, aim it at the first slide, pull the trigger slowly. When a hole appears in the slide, repeat the process with the next slide until all the slides have been shot or you are out of ammunition.

Steve
    Do bullets come in 4x5?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Do bullets come in 4x5?
    No, and neither do slides most of the time. If it is not rigged up for projection, it is not a "slide", but a "transparency".
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many years ago I pointed a Canon T90 spot meter at bright noon-lit snow under a blue sky and wondered why it looked so pasty on Kodachrome..........

Many think that you select the spot meter, point it anywhere at the scene and everything will be fine. This is certainly not so. Luck happens though, and you might just get a stroke of it.

Like any other meter, a spot meter will base it's observation on a baseline 18% mid-tone grey. It does not know (or care) if the scene is much brighter or darker than that. If you point it at a big blue sky, a white snowfield, or a black cat, what do you imagine might happen?? Well, none of those are actually 18% grey, are they? I chiefly add +1.3 to a snow scene (+0.3 if overcast).

Correct use of a spot meter is to seek out a tone in the scene being viewed that approximates the ubiquitous 18% grey midtone and meter from that, lock it in then shoot. A spot meter is useful for very strong backlight but will most likely need your over-ruling input. There are a few cameras about that allow multi-spot/averaging (i.e. Olympus OM4). The skill of the photographer will ultimately determine the best result with spot metering.

Get in the habit of reviewing your camera's settings before starting the shoot, but there is no harm in observing the results of your error as a valuable learning experience, remembering also that reversal film will show exposure errors from whichever meter is in use more acutely than neg. stock.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The shots ended up all coming out perfectly exposed.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin