Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,961   Online: 777

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mike, I think you are right about 8x10 being no different in theory. In practise, such things as big feet are really obvious on that big glass!

I am going to try the shot again after work today in two different ways. 1) I am going to get back a little further and expose a sheet of 8x10 with frame not quite so full, and 2) from the same position, I am going to use my 5x7 back to fill the frame and shoot a few that way.

I am just guessing that you think working distance is very important.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Depends on the theory. Because you're essentially in the macro range much of the time when making a portrait in 8x10" or larger, Ron Wisner has argued that normal rules about focal length don't apply in the same way as on smaller formats. Wisner's article used to be available on the Wisner website, but I don't think that site is functioning anymore. Here's a thread discussing the Wisner article and a few more relevant points, like parallax effects as opposed to perspective--

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/1...it-lenses.html
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 09-02-2009 at 11:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    David, I have noticed that my favourite 8x10 photographers of people use lenses shorter than one would expect. As you have already pointed out, Karsh is probably the best example. When I wanted to get a portrait lens for my 8x10, I did the simple multiplication and assumed that since my favourite lens in 35mm format was a 100mm, I should get a 600mm lens. I bought a 19 inch LD Artar, which is a great lens as it turns out, but I didn't have nearly enough bellows. I think it will work on my new camera (Kodak Master View) but it doesn't have a shutter yet. Most subjects find it very hard to remain perfectly still for a second or more. If I can focus it on the KMV, I may put it into a shutter, or I may take a cheaper route and try to get my old Packard shutter working, just for portraits. In the meantime, I use it as a landscape lens with the "hat on/off/on" method.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace View Post

David, I would get the hay from B&H but they won't ship it anymore without a minimum order and since I don't live on a horsefarm.... I may have to pick some up when I am in NYC in October.
    If you have a riding stable locally, you may be able to get some used hay from the owner, I understand it's much less expensive but more fragrant.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    David... You probably know this but, depending on how much extension you need, you may be able to make a "top hat" extension board to use that longer lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    John, I know that variety well. I wonder how my subject would feel about having her feet immersed in it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin