Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,139   Online: 985

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yeah, I'm looking at used *mint (supposedly) condition light meters. What are your thoughts toward that? Does it seem kind of risky buying the only electronic component of my 4x5 system in used condition? I don't mind dings, scrapes, paint on buttons wearing off, as long as it's working. Do meters usually maintain their durability for a long period of time?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by robertmgray View Post
    Do meters usually maintain their durability for a long period of time?
    Yes, solid state meters (ones without dials, whetstone bridges and needles) are highly consistent

Solid State Meters tend to suffer from two sorts of failure:-

Cataclysmic events such as being dropped (repeatedly) or accidentally left out in the rain

or

Battery corrosion affecting either the terminals or wires

Of course almost all electronic devices are susceptible to Coca Cola and Sea Water.

Personally, I carry at least two meters with me, a Spot Meter and an Incident Meter, which have different strengths and weaknesses but give some level of back-up should anything go wrong with the other

With a 5x4 kit you will not be travelling light in any case

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Martin, that helps me feel at ease when bidding on the meter I'm watching right now. It looks like it's in great condition, just didn't know if they were known for failures without such cataclysmic events.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do meters usually maintain their durability for a long period of time?
    I have a Weston-Master V from new in c1959 which still works perfectly: 50 years and still going strong.

I also have an even older Weston-Master II (bought second-hand) which is also in perfect working order.

Is that long enough?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Wow! 50 years is one hell of a run. I'm clumsy though, I'll settle for a 10 year run with (soon to be) mine before I spill some tea on it or something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I'm looking at used *mint (supposedly) condition light meters. What are your thoughts toward that? Does it seem kind of risky buying the only electronic component of my 4x5 system in used condition? I don't mind dings, scrapes, paint on buttons wearing off, as long as it's working. Do meters usually maintain their durability for a long period of time?

One thing that is a risk is whether the previous owner has left the lightmeter in hot sun, say in the car. There are many theories about the affect of prolonged sun striking the lumisphere and weakening the sensor, or even distorting the lumisphere. Whether these theories are true or false won't put you any more at ease buying second hand than if you were to loan a friend's a rely on that. Last Monday the second hand pro dealer I regularly visit had 4 meters lined up in the window in hot sun, only one of which described as "mint" (A Minolta-something) in a box.

Most of the Sekonic meters are very water resistant indeed, particularly the battery compartment (has a silicone rubber seal). My L758D has been through rain, snow, ice (to —4°c recently) and heat, this last condition one that I am more cautious of.

Benjiboy For me Robert after a lifetime of using meters that take general reflected light readings ( Western Euromaster , Gossen Profisix, Lunapro SBC ) I would miss the ability to take a genaral reflected reading which the 758 can't do, only spot and incidental.
    What? The L758/758D will take incident, reflected/reflected average/mid-tone and shift, reflected spot (1°), reflected multi-spot/Average/mid-tone. If it did not have the capacity for "general reflected reading" it would be useless.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    by general reflected reading I think Benjiboy meant a 30-40 degree reflected light meter like that of the 358.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I meant the 52 degree general reflected light reading that the Lumigrid gives on the L-358, I didn't write" a meter would be useless without this facility", only that "I would miss it".
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-16-2009 at 06:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I just won an ebay auction for an excellent condition Sekonic l-608! So by next week I should be learning exposure techniques instead of just googling specs. I'm excited!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations Robert, we're expecting great things from you now.
    Ben

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin