Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,748   Online: 934

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Sekonic l-358 Lightmeter Question

Hello, i just got this used lightmeter from someone. I have a question about the aperture. It's currently on shutter priority mode right now, when i measure, theres a smaller number that shows up next to the aperture. the manual says its the 1/10 F Stop. But im a little confused, whats the point of that?

any help would be great. Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What, your camera doesn't have 1/10 stop increments? Loser!

Good question. I think you can throw one of those little dip switches in the battery compartment to choose smaller increments--maybe 1/3?

I guess some people need 1/10 stops, especially when metering studio strobes. But for us mere mortals, it does seem like overkill.

I used to own that meter; when it was stolen I bought the L-758---and have been wishing ever since that I'd just replaced the smaller, more compact and simpler 358.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks MikeSeb.

"and have been wishing ever since that I'd just replaced the smaller, more compact and simpler 358." what? im a little confused here.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

He's just remarking on the 758's complexity. The owners manual will tell what those dip switches in the battery compartment will make the meter do in differet combinations.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can download the instruction book here http://www.sekonic.co.uk/Brochures.htm, as Mike says Its the way you configure the dip switches in the battery compartment so it reads to the nearest half stop, I use a 358 and it's a wonderful meter, enjoy.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    What, your camera doesn't have 1/10 stop increments? Loser!

Good question. I think you can throw one of those little dip switches in the battery compartment to choose smaller increments--maybe 1/3?

I guess some people need 1/10 stops, especially when metering studio strobes. But for us mere mortals, it does seem like overkill.

I used to own that meter; when it was stolen I bought the L-758---and have been wishing ever since that I'd just replaced the smaller, more compact and simpler 358.
    I chose the 358 because the L 758 has no ability to take general reflected readings only spot, I bought the 1 degree spot attachment for the 358, so I have the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-06-2009 at 03:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks guys for the help, yes i found the switches in the battery place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Rinthe,

My apologies for going a little off-track here -- I don't have an answer to your question. My question is to you (and anyone else with experience with the L-358), and a little more self-serving... How do you like the meter, so far, as I'm looking to purchase the same one -- for ambient, incident readings, with potential for mixed ambient/flash, later on?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    a.horodysky: np. I just got this meter 2 days ago so i haven't had much time to play with it. But i got a really good deal for it, only $50, i took it asap But i did do a lot of research on it, seems like most people are very happy about this meter. people here can probably tell you more

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In my first post I was bemoaning the larger size, more awkward handling, and greater complexity of the 758 vs. the 358. They are both very accurate and reasonably rugged, but if I were buying today I'd go with the 358.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin