Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,270   Posts: 1,660,692   Online: 1073

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FP shutter stutter?

I often find myself confusing the issue when trying out some new piece of gear by changing more than one variable at once. Not the brightest way to work, but then, few of my friends would accuse me of being the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Anyway, I took the attached image using an objective lens from an old pair of binoculars I had and like the look. It was done on a Speed Graphic, held sideways to get a portrait format, using a fairly slow exposure for the focal plane shutter. The negative was then developed in a new (old) tank, one that has a spiral central core, allowing up to 12 sheets to be done at one time in a stainless steel tank that looks like a regular 120 tank on steroids. No new chemistry for me or anything and no chance that the liquid level was low. I agitated it by inversion. The question I have involves the dark stripe which runs vertically, just right of center on his face. (red arrow added for clarification.) The obviously beat-up nature of the negative is another issue, not of worry here.

I'm thinking that the combination of a low tension number on the shutter, the sideways travel of the curtain and the age of the camera (pre-anniversary Speed) may have caused the shutter to hesitate just a bit during its travel, allowing a stripe of over-exposure. I've never had problems with this shutter when shooting in landscape format.

OK, that didn't work. I'll try again with another post of just the image...
    Comments?
    Last edited by Whiteymorange; 09-12-2009 at 08:57 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: image didn't load

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

the image for shutter stutter

here's the image I spoke of
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rustywithmark.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Film cameras require CLA servicing periodically...gears, etc in the mechanism used for timing, mechanical things sliding around, both needing lubrication. Lubricants get gummy over time. My guess is the light part of the photo is result from shutter mechanism moving a bit slowly across the focal plane, overexposing the negative and resulting in ligher section of the photo. CLA seems indicated!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin