Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,276   Online: 1063

Shooter
    35mm

Determining needed change in lens

All, I am new to the forum and was reading a few posts about a problem I am trying to solve. Everyone seemed helpful and well mannered which is rare for a forum so I decided to join to ask my question.

I have a captured image taken with a 12.5mm lens on a 1/2" format CCD camera. Given that image is there a mathematical method to determine the lens that would be needed to see a specific portion of that image?

Basically I have an image of a roadway, but I want to know what lens at the same position would be needed to only see a specific part of the roadway in the original image.

Shane

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by loowens View Post
    All, I am new to the forum and was reading a few posts about a problem I am trying to solve. Everyone seemed helpful and well mannered which is rare for a forum so I decided to join to ask my question.

I have a captured image taken with a 12.5mm lens on a 1/2" format CCD camera. Given that image is there a mathematical method to determine the lens that would be needed to see a specific portion of that image?

Basically I have an image of a roadway, but I want to know what lens at the same position would be needed to only see a specific part of the roadway in the original image.

Shane
    The concept you are looking for is called angle of view.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you mean the diagonal of the sensor is 1/2" then that is about 12.5mm (12.7 to be exact).
    So any film/lens combo where the focal length is the same as the film diagonal will duplicate that angular view for you.

So, 43mm lens on 35mm camera, 105mm on 6x9cm camera 150mm on 4x5" camera etc....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by loowens View Post

The ratio of the size of the portion of the image to the size of the complete image is the same as the ratio of the focal lengths needed to produce both, but inversed.

If the portion is, say, 1/3 of the total image's size, the lens needed to record it on the entire frame is 3x as long as the one used to take the image the portion is 1/3 of.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin