Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,740   Posts: 1,515,541   Online: 1086

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Zone System

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    OK, now I've got a question. Some call it a 'reflected' meter and some a 'reflective' meter. Which is correct?
    I think both are awkward, so I am uncomfortable with both.

On the other hand, an "instrument that measures the intensity of light that has reflected off the surface of the subject which is to be photographed" is a bit unwieldy, don't you think?

Matt

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

On the other hand, an "instrument that measures the intensity of light that has reflected off the surface of the subject which is to be photographed" is a bit unwieldy, don't you think?

Matt
    Yes. Both are adjectives, so is the word 'incident'. Kodak and Wikipedia are using 'reflected' light meter.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

Matt
    That has a nice ring to it.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    OK, now I've got a question. Some call it a 'reflected' meter and some a 'reflective' meter. Which is correct?
    Either is good for me because I like to reflect on the subject before taking the photograph. Taking time can improve on the photograph.

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ektagraphic... just stay with it. A few answers here are leaning more toward indirect facetiousness than helpfulness. Pay no attention to those posts. The authors intend no harm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I was reading about the Zone system...Is there anyone using the Zone system with a reflective light meter. I don't have a handheld spot meter but I would really like to get one.
    OK. The Purists will tell you that you can't use The Zone System unless you engage in the corresponding development and printing processes/adjustments as well.

However, I have found the ideas behind the Zone System very helpful in working out a good exposure even though all my developing and printing are done by a commercial film processor.

depending on which book you read, the "System" requires the photographer to visualize the scene to be photographed as an array of nine (in some books more) "tones" (light intensities or "Zones"): a deep, pure black shadow would be a Zone "one" and a pure white would be a Zone "nine". The middle of the range would be a "five".

In practice, green grass, bare dirt, faded cement, old red bricks, faded bitumen, blue sky (opposite the sun) and the palm of your hand approximate to the middle step (i.e. Zone 5). (My palm is closer to Zone 5.5)

Each zone is separated by a doubling of light intensity: i.e. one "stop" or one "Exposure Value".

The simplest application (known as the keytone method) is simply to pick out
    a known tone, measure the required exposure with your lightmeter, assign it to a zone and expose accordingly.

I can assure you it works like a charm!

The tone need not be a "middle gray": it can be any of the nine, but (because, whatever you meter will be interpreted by your meter as being Zone five) you will need to open up or to stop down accordingly, in order to place your metered tonality correctly with regard to your exposure and pre-visualized intent.

An "easy" way is to go for the most important highlight (or shadow) and act accordingly: the remaining tonalities will fall into place automatically.

Effectively, you only need to make one measurement per exposure.

This can be done with an ordinary "reflective" meter (I have several), providing you get close enough to the object (or its proxy) being measured.

A spot meter (I have several more) is very handy insofar as you can do your metering from a distance.

Neither meter will come up with an "automatic" answer: you will need to use your head every time...but it's not rocket-science either.
    Last edited by Galah; 09-15-2009 at 01:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    OK. The Purists will tell you that you can't use The Zone System unless you engage in the corresponding development and printing processes/adjustments as well.
    Not "can't", but "don't".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Either is good for me because I like to reflect on the subject before taking the photograph. Taking time can improve on the photograph.
    So why use a meter to do that for you?

And wouldn't that then be a "reflecting" meter?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Oh, the pun... the agonizing pun!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Oh, the pun... the agonizing pun!!
    You broke the code!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin