Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,221   Posts: 1,532,340   Online: 1072

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My Gossen Profi-Six over-reads the light levels by a whole stop compared to my Weston Euromaster and Pentax Spot Meter (both are within 1/3 of a stop of each other)

It is consistent, so is easy to make allowances for but took me a good while to identify the problem

I just assumed it was my particular meter - but after reading this thread - perhaps not

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    What metering mode were the Nikon SLRs in? I've found that in an average daylight scene with some variation in contrast, the N8008s and N90s in matrix mode match a Digiflash and LunaPro F incident reading to within readout error. Matrix metering tries to figure out exposures in a sort of 'black box' mode based on a number of factors, including light level, meaning you don't always know how it's interpreting a scene. Try seeing if spot mode or center weighted averaging off a gray card with the SLR is a better match to an incident reading with the LunaPro or Digisix.

Lee
    Well, that is interesting. I tried what you suggested, and measured the light reflected of a gray card with the spot meters on my F80 and F100 and it matches the incident reading from the Luna Pro F and the Digisix. Using the Gossens to measure the reflected light from the grey card results in a one stop under reading compared to the Nikons. The Nikons read within 1/3 of a stop of each other, and the Gossens read within a hair of each other.
    I see the book that came with the Digisix recommends using the incident meter for normal metering, and I think that seems like the safest course to follow.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have some confidence in what the meters are telling me which should allow the masterpieces to come out of the camera. :rolleyes:
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    The N90s reads out shutter speeds in 1/3 stops and the N8008s in full stops.
    My F801 reads to 1/3 stops in manual mode.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    My F801 reads to 1/3 stops in manual mode.
    The 'analog' meter scale in the F801s/N8008s finder and top LCD display may read out in 1/3 stop LCD block steps, but your shutter speed display uses the traditional one stop steps, and those are the only shutter speeds you can choose manually. The N90s displays 1/3 stop steps on the numerical readout (e.g. 640) in both manual and auto exposure, and 1/3 stop shutter speed steps are selectable in manual mode.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's an interesting article that may have some bearing on this: http://bythom.com/graycards.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin