Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,860   Online: 1141

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meter accuracy

Shooter
    Medium Format

Meter accuracy

Good afternoon everyone,
    Here is my problem:
    I got recently a used Sekonic L308 (fo free, at least) after my old Weston master passed away. I thought to rely for once on a digital system rather than an analogic (never again!!).
    I went out shooting few 120mm films, giving maximum attention to expose correctly for shadows, checking the contrast range, etc etc etc (a very rudimental zone system application :rolleyes..I developed, as always, my films (Fomapan 100 in rodinal 1+25)...and the result was almost a disaster with the films underexposed, I'd say at least 2 stops.
    Would it be possible that the meter is in need of a testing procedures for its accuracy?? Unfortunately I do not have any othe meter to compare the readings and at the moment I cannot send it anywhere for testing.
    Is there any way/procedures to check its accuracy??
    I am pretty lost...and bothered.
    Thanks a lot
    M

Shooter
    35mm
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the L308 normally an incident meter. Does it have the integrating sphere? How were you using it for shadows and the zone system?

You could always compare it to the Sunny 16 rule. Take it out in the sun, set the ASA to some known value and see if the reading comes out 1/ASA at f/16. It would be hard not to see 2 stops of error.

Denis K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sounds like, for some reason, your exposure was off quite a bit. Without another meter of some sort to compare, I wonder if you could use a gray card and see if the meter will at least produce a setting somewhat close to the sunny-16 rule anyway.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis K View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the L308 normally an incident meter. Does it have the integrating sphere? How were you using it for shadows and the zone system?

You could always compare it to the Sunny 16 rule. Take it out in the sun, set the ASA to some known value and see if the reading comes out 1/ASA at f/16. It would be hard not to see 2 stops of error.

Denis K
    Hi Denis,
    Reflective as well..Unless I am doign something wrong, but once you slide the sphere you have a reflective reading
    About Sunny 16 rule...I live in Ireland, this means I have to wait long for a bit od sun

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    It sounds like, for some reason, your exposure was off quite a bit. Without another meter of some sort to compare, I wonder if you could use a gray card and see if the meter will at least produce a setting somewhat close to the sunny-16 rule anyway.
    Yep, I was thinking to buy a grey card...Thanks bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lacking a gray card to check a meter I have used a healthy look'g green lawn in the summer. IT has about 18% reflectance and in an emergency should be close to the sunny 16 rule too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rmolson View Post
    Lacking a gray card to check a meter I have used a healthy look'g green lawn in the summer.
    You don't need a gray card with an incident meter. Just slide the sphere in place.

BTW, You are right, the L308 has a reflective reading angle of 40 degrees when in that mode.

Denis K

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirko Lazzarin View Post
    Hi Denis,
    Reflective as well..Unless I am doign something wrong, but once you slide the sphere you have a reflective reading
    About Sunny 16 rule...I live in Ireland, this means I have to wait long for a bit od sun
    The Sunny 16 rule doesn't work for us in the UK or Ireland

Try Sunny 11 instead - much closer to reality

Alternately, there are a number of active and freindly Irish APUGers you could perhaps team up with to compare meter readings

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Of course it works. You may just have to use f/.95 all the time. You can hit the local photo store and test drive a camera and compare the meter to it. I've done it from time to time and the sales person never objected but, I always bought a little something to compensate, even if a set of batteries, a filter and film. Last time I did it of course I ended up buying a Oly E-500 kit but, that's another story.

Quality Light Metric in Hollywood, Ca will repair the Weston.

George does fine work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin