Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,204   Online: 1190

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I swear by my Sekonic L-358. It's a work horse!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    My Gossen Luna Pro F will read -8 EV but at a film speed of ISO 12!; but probably more practical it will give you -5 EV at ISO 100
    But if you read the instructions it will tell you that the meter is accurate to EV -1 at ISO 100 [Moderator's note: numbers corrected as per poster's request], the standard ISO for specifying meter sensitivity. IIRC, the LunaPro SBC was a bit more sensitive, you gave up a few stops for the flash metering capability on the F. I can't find a spec for the SBC right now. I'm sure it's been posted to APUG several times before.

The Sekonic L-358 is spec'd for EV -2 @ ISO 100.

The Calculite XP was the low light leader when made, EV -7 IIRC.

Meters don't become more sensitive (i.e. they don't meter in lower light) if you use faster film and set the meter at a higher ISO. Stated meter sensitivity in EV is standardized at ISO 100. If you're comparing readings or sensitivity at other ISO settings, you're not getting an accurate comparison.

Lee
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 12-19-2009 at 06:33 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: See post http://www.apug.org/forums/forum48/69592-incident-light-meters-2.html#post911852

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    SBC cells have no memory to cause errors either. CDS cells do have memory errors but I don't know about the other types.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using a (Soligor) Zone VI spotmeter to shoot ballet and other stage performances in dark theaters since 1985. It works great. Even if it is "too dark", you can meter off brighter areas and place them properly for a good exposure (given the circumstances).
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    But if you read the instructions it will tell you that the meter is accurate to EV -4 (not -5) at ISO 100, the standard ISO for specifying meter sensitivity.
    I never thought about it until you mentioned it, so I did not know this before looking at the instructions. Gossen states (I assume they make their meters to conform to ISO standards, IDK) the sensitivity of my Luna Pro F at -3 to +15 EV at ISO 25----so at two stops slower film rating, a -3 EV will give an 8hr exposure at f/64.

I would need two stops more light value (ISO 100) for a reading at -3 EV to accomplish the same exposure of 8hrs at f/64.

This means, my meter tells me, and if I'm thinking correctly, that my Gossen will effectively read a -5 EV at ISO 100 and not exceed it's sensitivity rating. A lower EV should be able to be accurately read if the ISO is higher than the accurate minimum ISO stated by the manufacturer---------I think.

Even so, I will probably not ever use this meter in that manner, but either way, it's still a pretty darn low light level for these meters to be able to read and the OP couldn't go wrong with them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "I shoot film after dark, in dark nightclubs, and before the Sun comes up."

Explore Fredparker.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never thought about it until you mentioned it, so I did not know this before looking at the instructions. Gossen states (I assume they make their meters to conform to ISO standards, IDK) the sensitivity of my Luna Pro F at -3 to +15 EV at ISO 25----so at two stops slower film rating, a -3 EV will give an 8hr exposure at f/64. ...
    My mistake!

I was trying to read a garbled LunaPro SBC .pdf file and my LunaPro F instructions at the same time and posted wrong info. The LunaPro F is as you stated, rated for -3 EV to 15 EV at ISO 25. The standard for stating EV metering range has been ISO 100, but Gossen stated the LunaPro F based on ISO 25. So if you set your meter for EV -3 at ISO 25, then move the ISO dial to 100, you'll find that the equivalent light level at ISO 100 is EV -1. So the LunaPro F is rated from -1 to +17 EV at the ISO 100 standard, not -5 EV at the low light end. As I mentioned, the SBC version is a few stops more sensitive, but I haven't found that info yet.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never thought about it until you mentioned it, so I did not know this before looking at the instructions. Gossen states (I assume they make their meters to conform to ISO standards, IDK) the sensitivity of my Luna Pro F at -3 to +15 EV at ISO 25----so at two stops slower film rating, a -3 EV will give an 8hr exposure at f/64.

I would need two stops more light value (ISO 100) for a reading at -3 EV to accomplish the same exposure of 8hrs at f/64.

This means, my meter tells me, and if I'm thinking correctly, that my Gossen will effectively read a -5 EV at ISO 100 and not exceed it's sensitivity rating. A lower EV should be able to be accurately read if the ISO is higher than the accurate minimum ISO stated by the manufacturer---------I think.

Even so, I will probably not ever use this meter in that manner, but either way, it's still a pretty darn low light level for these meters to be able to read and the OP couldn't go wrong with them.
    I've had a Gossen Profisix SBC (Lunapro SBC) for more than twenty years, and although I rarely use it in such low light as it's capable of reading, I find the problem is that you cant see the meter needle or dial to operate it and it requires the user to press the memory button on the meter to remember the reading, then use a torch so you can calculate the exposure, I find my Sekonic L-358 much easier to operate in these conditions because the digital display lights up as the ambient light drops below a certain level.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I never saw that as a problem with my Luna Pro SBC. Once the button is pushed and released the needle stays in position for a few seconds... more than long enough to use a small flashlight to read it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Moongypsy View Post
    ...I question my reflective light meter in dim conditions...
    A suggestion for reflective metering in low-light conditions that you may like to try is to measure off a white card (reflectivity 90%, meter assumes 18% reflectivity) and increase the exposure time by 5.

For example: using a reflective reading you get a recommended exposure of f2.8 at 1/60th of a second, you would expose at 5 x 1/60th or 1/15th (nearest available setting)

On the other hand, using a (reflective, obviously) spot meter, pick a highlight in your subject that meters well and use exposure compensation so that it is rendered as a corresponding highlight in your print (or transparency)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin