Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,968   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Incident light meters

Sorry if this is a rehash. I'm looking to get an incident light meter to better expose my film shots since my Koni-Omega 100 has no metering, and I question my reflective light meter in dim conditions. I shoot film after dark, in dark nightclubs, and before the Sun comes up. I'm going to start looking at Sekonic. Any others? Will the incident light meter work in the described conditions? Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Many swear by the Luna Pro SBC but I'm not really a low-light shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It might be hard to find an incident meter that will give reliable readings in such low levels of light. I would suggest you get a spot meter instead.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love incident meters and recommend them for almost everything, but this is a case where they just won't work. They are not sensitive enough in low light. If you use a reflected meter, such as a spot meter, you must really know how to use it before doing so, since all they do is tell you how to make what you are pointing it at middle grey. There isn't even a spot meter that will be able to meter in light levels that low, unless you are metering spotlit objects. You are best going with lots of guessing and trial and error in these situations.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Luna Pro SBC is a great meter, very accurate, but a touch on the large side, the Luna Pro (Profisix) is smaller and just as good.

My Pentax Spotmeter V is great in very low light levels and I've used it numerous times for night shots.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    The above relies are correct about incident meters generally being less sensitive, due to the dome itself preventing some of the light getting to the sensor. I used to use a Gossen Lunisix 3, which was excellent for low light. It is a wide field reflected light meter with a slide across dome for incident light readings. Even with the dome in place it could meter down to very low light levels, but with the sensor exposed it could meter in light levels that were too low to read the scale. Unfortunately they use a stupid mercury battery which cannot be replaced easily - you can use a different battery that fits, but I wouldn't have confidence in the reading after that, or you can buy an overpriced adapter. I now use a sekonic incident/spot meter, which is really good, if a little complicated for what I need. It is good in low light, but not as good as the gossen. In practice, it meters low enough light levels for practically any situation, and would work fine for incident readings in a dark club.
    Piete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Luna Pro (Profisix) & Lunapro SBC have similar incident domes, my SBC is back in the UK, but just trying the Luna Pro it reads down to EV -4, that's a very low light level indeed, 4hrs @f32 with 100 ISO film not allowing for reciprocity failure

IAn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks to everyone. I will start checking out these brands and models. I might also try investing in faster film. I think I need faster than 400asa. Could I get close to a base by experimenting through my digital camera? Just thinking outloud here.

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You might try Ilford Delta Pro 3200 film. A spot meter off an 18% gray card as well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moongypsy View Post
    I shoot film after dark, in dark nightclubs, and before the Sun comes up. I'm going to start looking at Sekonic. Any others? Will the incident light meter work in the described conditions? Thanks.
    My Gossen Luna Pro F will read -8 EV but at a film speed of ISO 12!; but probably more practical it will give you -5 EV at ISO 100 and 8hrs at f/32 before the reciprocity adjustment. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Gossens

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin