Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,223   Online: 823

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The Pocket Spot by Metered Light

This is my preliminary evaluation of the Pocket Spot that I received a couple of hours ago by USPS.

The fit and finish is great, the viewing is easy, the read out is sharp and clear. The dials are easy and clear. It physically appears to be everything I was lead to believe.

I compared it to my Soligor 1% spot meter, a Zone IV model that was modified by Fred Picker to be correct in its reading of objects of differing colors and intensities. Linear and color blind they used to say. It was everything I wanted in a meter for many years with the exception that it was large and could be broken if accidental dropped. The holster was never that easy and the pockets were never that accessible. The meter was always getting stuck in my coat pocket. For accuracy it is top notch.

Comparing the two I set the EI at 100 and took several meter readings at close distance, 2', 10', 20' and out doors at a dim lit house side and a street light at infinity.

Every close reading was the same for the two, that was a plus, can't asked for better than than that.

The house side was off a little maybe a third of a stop. The Pocket Spot has two red dots. One is 1/3 stop and Two is 2/3 stop. Not a problem there.

The street light a couple of blocks away was a different story. The Soligor reading was constant and didn't vary until I was totally off of the light.

The Pocket Spot, which has a bore hole for a sighting, displayed readings that were all over the place, like it couldn't lock on. I never did get a reading with it. That's still OK since I can figure out what the exposure is, it's called one on, one over, one under, or was that one one thousand, two one thousand? OK asking it to read a street light at two blocks in the dark is maybe asking too much.

The bottom line, this meter is small and seemingly accurate from the initial tests and I will be using this most if not all of the time. For travel it will be the only one to take. It's impressive for the size.

Drawback, it was supposed to come with a Teflon tool to remove the battery cap and it didn't. The Plus, it came with the battery installed and an extra battery. It has a red slip case and a set of instructions.

Was it worth the effort and the long wait, YEP all the way, no second thoughts, no disappointments, no return.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I know you are going to like using it -

I have been using one for about 3 years now - love it! Small, light and I have had no problems with its readings. I just hang it around my neck and slip it in my shirt pocket - its there when you need it with no bulk or weight. One of the best investments in equipment I have made.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where did you find this meter?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    It's a secret. google: metered light pocket spot
    Don't tell anyone else.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes, I've been looking for one for a long time, and have never managed to find one for sale. It surprises me that meter manufacturers aren't cleverer to design meters that have better ergonomics and size. For example, I do a lot of incident metering -- so how about a meter that straps on like a wristwatch and provides a readout. Take the guts of my Polaris incident meter, shrink the electronics using technology developed in the last five years, and develop something new. If Apple can build the iPod Nano with all its capabilities in something that size, Gossen or Sekonic should be able to do the same.

Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for a Pocket Spot for use when I want a spot meter and don't want to pull out my Pentax-V.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    http://meteredlight.blogspot.com/
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    [...] For example, I do a lot of incident metering -- so how about a meter that straps on like a wristwatch and provides a readout. Take the guts of my Polaris incident meter, shrink the electronics using technology developed in the last five years, and develop something new. If Apple can build the iPod Nano with all its capabilities in something that size, Gossen or Sekonic should be able to do the same.
    The Gossen Digisix (or Digiflash) is not far off what you are longing for.
    A matchbox sized meter that is 'grown up' in every other aspect.

Gossen has been making the Sixtino (Pilot? - Also not much bigger than a matchbox)) for ages.
    At one time, there actually even was a version of it (the Hasselblad Meter Knob) for which you could indeed get a wrist band and wear like a wristwatch.
    Old technology (Selenium cell, needle) though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The PocketSpot sounds great from all reports I've read.

I have a Digisix, and it is very handy as a pocketable incident meter with handy features like a clock, timer, and ambient thermometer (useful for Polaroids, aside from just knowing the temperature). It's not very well sealed against dust though, and it isn't terribly convenient to carry it in its case, if you want something that is handy at all times. When I'm carrying it constantly in my pocket, I find I have to open it up and clean it every four months or so or the buttons stop working.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin