Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,049   Online: 891

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Things NOT to do...

Things NOT to do on your first large format colour shoot on a freezing winter night with a new light meter...

DON'T.

Don't do your first large format colour shoot on a freezing winter night with a new light meter.

One hour, two locations, two exposure errors, both caused by hurrying in the cold, in the bad lighting... and neither error discovered until I packed up and was ready to move on. (and too cold to set everything up again to reshoot)

I'm chalking it up to a learning experience. I know what I did wrong. I should be able to avoind these mistakes in the future. I just had higher hopes for tonight's shoot and I am not all that anxious to repeat the errors.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I decided it was too miserable to shoot outside so decided to play with my new RB67 on some still lifes in the warmth and comfort of my office. After the first roll I realized I'd forgotten to compensate for the bellows extension. Oh poop and son of a gun I said.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a learning experience. Look at the bright side, That's something you will be very aware of in the future.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    I decided it was too miserable to shoot outside so decided to play with my new RB67 on some still lifes in the warmth and comfort of my office. After the first roll I realized I'd forgotten to compensate for the bellows extension. Oh poop and son of a gun I said.
    done that one before . happily though, I overexposed a stop, so I just pushed the film 1 1/2 stops and the negs came out ok. Not good as I hoped, but ok.

good luck with the RB! great cameras!

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    It's a learning experience. Look at the bright side, That's something you will be very aware of in the future.
    Agreed...

Apary from my mistakes in exposing the scenes, my main error was to pack everything up immediately after making my exposures. With LF, I generally have a very systematic procedure, which, with the dark and the cold became a little more laboured. Anxious to feel my fingers again, I threw everything in the back of the car and cranked up the heat while I finished my notes... Which, of course, is when I noticed my mistakes.

That being said, I am hoping for a "happy accident". Both shots I took were over exposed, one by nearly two stops, the other, worse. :o But this is night photography, and I have made worse mistakes with smaller formats. :rolleyes: The final prints might still be salvageable. I'll be in Chicago next week and will drop my negs off at Phoenix. They promise next-day proofs. I'll let you know, (if you're interested) how badly everything turns out.

Cheers,

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Toffle,

If I remember correctly a few years ago you took a tumble in the snow with your TLR, a Rollei? I told you that it would work out. You have habit of snatching victory from the grasp of defeat. Good luck, it will probably work out.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Toffle,

If I remember correctly a few years ago you took a tumble in the snow with your TLR, a Rollei? I told you that it would work out. You have habit of snatching victory from the grasp of defeat. Good luck, it will probably work out.

Steve
    Steve, you remember well. My Rollie is in fine form, and consistently produces better negatives than my own skills can take credit for.

I am always an optimist... I might get some useable prints out of this. At the very least, as John K says, it has been a valuable learning experience. As in most cases, it is more profitalbe to risk a bad shot or two than to leave your camera sitting in its case.

Merry Christmas to you, Steve.

Cheers,

Shooter
    Large Format
    Gee Tom, I didn't see you out there. I would have brought you a hot chocolate.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Color negative? If so, not a problem. I've seen some great prints made from overexposed color negative sheet film.

-Tim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey, You went out photographing, and that's far better than staying home and not photographing. As far as your mistakes, I'm perfectly capable of making those mistakes in warm, calm weather during the day. I was out Christmas afternoon and evening with a new Speed Graphic, had all kinds of fun, no major mistakes that I know of, but I know more after I process the film this afternoon.

Good luck with your color negs, maybe the lab can pull process to compensate for the over exposure. Don't know as I shoot mainly B&W. I would certainly let them know that the negs. are over exposed. My other thought is that depending on the reciprocity failure of your film and the length of the exposure maybe the negatives aren't as over exposed as you think.

Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin