Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,883   Online: 947

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Got Abberations, Will Travel

Numerous factors play into the "old look" of antique photos, I think. One of those factors, as has been noted, is the nature and quality of the lenses at the time. One way I've found to simulate part of that look is by placing difusion material over the camera lens.

Here's an example of using 1/4" bubble wrap (packing material) with a hole cut in it about 1/3 the diameter of the lens. It's a scan of a 4x5 Polaroid, toned in Photoshop, but the technique should work on 35mm, too. I just stretched the bubble wrap over the lens, and held it in place with a rubber band.

[COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Numerous factors play into the "old look" of antique photos, I think. One of those factors, as has been noted, is the nature and quality of the lenses at the time. One way I've found to simulate part of that look is by placing difusion material over the camera lens.

Here's an example of using 1/4" bubble wrap (packing material) with a hole cut in it about 1/3 the diameter of the lens. It's a scan of a 4x5 Polaroid, toned in Photoshop, but the technique should work on 35mm, too. I just stretched the bubble wrap over the lens, and held it in place with a rubber band.

I really like this effect. Thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Morten

You may want to consider lith printing, If you try various papers the effects can be quite different.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker

I'll try this...can't get any cheaper

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Morten

You may want to consider lith printing, If you try various papers the effects can be quite different.
    I know very little 'bout lith printing, but will start to dig into it soon.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Morten,

"Thanks. I bought a couple of rolls of Foma in Prague earlier this year. 100, 200 and 400."

Ah - Foma Shop or Foto Skoda? Love them both, but Foma Shop is cheaper.... and Foto Skoda is a cool museum and has the best prices on Agfa papers I have ever seen.

The Fomapan 100 is very similar to APX100, T200 is a flat crystal film with a modern look and characteristics.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ralph...wonderful image! I'm so glad you posted a 'visual'. Love the 'look'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Dorothy.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wait... you didn't specify if we should use bubble wrap that came with a Hasselblad or bubble wrap that came with a Holga...is the 'blad wrap sharper?
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The older cameras can be very sharp, this shot was with a Kodak No. 1 Pocket camera. 6x9 on 120 with a single element uncoated lens. It was my grandfathers camera back in the 30's. I believe that I used Tri-x for this shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tucson.jpg  
    Scott Stadler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin