Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,777   Online: 797

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help understanding my Sekonic L558

I hope somebody could explain the display reading on my L558.
    The meter is set to Aperture Priority mode. The display as I read it is f5.6 and 1/3sec. Now my issue is what does the "4" next to the 5.6 mean, the manual say it 1/10th of sec, so 4/10 of what?
    Second query is how does the bar reading along the bottom relate, as to me it is say 1/4sec. I though it might mean 1/4sec + 4/10sec but that just doesn't make any sense at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SWAG here!
    Aperture mode gives you 5.6@1/4 on the display. As I remember the bar is an analog reading of the shutter speed. It's a duplicate display.

Does the digital display change when you change the metering mode to .5 stop?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    SWAG here!
    Aperture mode gives you 5.6@1/4 on the display. As I remember the bar is an analog reading of the shutter speed. It's a duplicate display.

Does the digital display change when you change the metering mode to .5 stop?
    That's not right. It's f5.6 and 4/10. So basically halfway between f5.6 and f8.

This meter reads in 1/10 stop increments. Since most cameras only offer full-stop shutter speeds, the aperture priority mode gives you the aperture you chose, the nearest shutter speed to give correct exposure, and a correction on the aperture to adjust for the face that at, for example f5.6, the shutter speed might have to be at a point between two shutter settings to give the right exposure. since that's not possible, you use the nearest shutter speed then f5.6 and 4/10.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SWAG ?
    Metering is set to 1/2 stops not 1/3 stop, but rolling the dial 1 click (1/2 stop) changes the 3 to 4, the bar goes 4 to halfway to 8 and the f stop to 4.8.
    thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is f/5.6, and then you need to figure out a way to cut "40% of a halving" of the amount of light you will get at f/5.6.

Try figuring out exactly how to do that with your camera.

Go ahead...I'll wait...but can you? Can your client?

IMHO, one of the silliest meter readouts ever. Useless technical exactitude at the expense of being completely impractical. Isn't there a way you can just set it to match the precision of your aperture/shutter, like 1/2 stops or 1/3 stops?
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-07-2010 at 10:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is quite some time since Iíve used 1/10 of a stop metering, but your meter is as far as I can remember and tell, giving you the readout in 1/10 of a stop increments.

For all intents and purposes with your cameras (that Iíve seen) you would use 5.6 Ĺ at ľ of a second exposure and be out by 1/10 of a stop.

It does give you a reading that will allow you to guestimate which way to fudge your exposures, great idea.

Many years ago doing product photography with lenses calibrated to 1/10 of a stop aperture readings, we shot and developed tranny film to an accuracy of 1/3 of a stop, with a highlight to shadow reading of 3 stops. This allowed the transparencies to be used for magazine reproduction straight from the camera to the colour separation stage without further fiddling.

Not only was this quicker, cheaper and more satisfying, the clients liked the results, we picked up industry awards and felt good to boot.

These quite accurate light meters were a revelation in the production of exact repeatable transparency film developing in a studio. They were also a revelation with the Sinar view camera with through the lens metering from the ground glass, allowing one to accurately allow for bellows extension and at the same time allow the photographer to decide whether to under expose another tenth or so of a stop, then get the film pushed a 1/3 of a stop or more in processing to bump the highlights so that when colour separation time came, you had a sparkle in the reproduction on the printed page.

This was pretty much the driving factor as far as I can tell, as to why light meter manufacturers supplied meters with the ability to give readings down to 1/10 of a stop. If a light meter didnít give us a 1/10 of a stop reading, it never made it past the studio door!

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe you can adjust that calibration in the set up.

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't own a 558 but just download the manual. When in the F mode (aperture priority) the 4/10 indicates 4/10 stop from the 1/4 sec (which is about 1/10 stop slower than 1/3 in the display).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To the right of the main readout is the small figure you are referring to. This is a 1/10th of a stop e.g. 0.4sec f5.6 4.

Most cameras can read in 0.3, 0.5 or 1 stop (ditto, that Sekonic model); the tenths figure is a little superfluous but can indicate 'weighting' away from "ideal" exposure (what constitutes "ideal" exposure is a personal preference!) e.g. 1sec f4 8 would be interpreted at f4.5 The "apostrophic" figure is only accorded a cursory glance on my Sekonic (L758D) — I am usually pre-occupied with completing several tasks before I am drenched!! Apparently the tenths of a stop has relevance in calibrating the meter during profiling of a digital camera, which is of absolutely no interest to me.

ISO1 + ISO2 buttons (simultaneously) allow you to recalibrate the meter in +/– 1/10th stops.

Your bar display is showing shutter speeds; this can be altered (custom function) to Ev which may provide a little more clarity relative to the figures displayed.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 03-07-2010 at 10:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK Thanks all, just sound like theres to much information for everyday operation. I'll just stick to the main figures and run with that. Pity you cannot turn the 1/10 off, or display the shutter in whole number and nearest to standard shutter speeds along the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin