Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,857   Online: 1007

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Fading to black exposures – Please help.

I've been shooting with an Olympus OM-1 for a couple months now. I love the camera to death, but it has one problem. Occasionally, and I think only when shooting outdoors, only the left half a frame will be exposed and will fade to black on the right.

Here is a photo to demonstrate what's going on:

If anyone has any ideas about why this is happening, please let me know. I wouldn't want this to stop me from using this camera.

- Aaron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Odd...is there like a piece of torn film under the mirror or something?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the shutter moves horizontally, then it is a shutter problem.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Firstly, welcome to APUG.

As far as your problem, could it be a camera strap dangling or a gloved finger?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If the shutter moves horizontally, then it is a shutter problem.

PE
    That's also my first thought. I've seen similar frames, indeed only occassionally (and vertically, because the shutter on my EOS 650 moves vertically) exactly due to that problem.

"Only when shooting outdoors" is another hint in that direction; I would translate that to "only for faster shutter speeds".

Edit: Googling reveals that the OM-1 has a horizontal shutter indeed. Yet another indication that the shutter is the culprit.
    Last edited by kraker; 03-08-2010 at 05:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Used google

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Only for faster shutter speeds and only in cold weather?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of my students had the same problem. Have of the frame was exposed. We looked at the shutter of her 35mm and it wasn't opening all the way. I will start looking at that first.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shutter problem

The second curtain is closing too quickly and accelerating, causing the frame to be progressively underexposed as the curtain moves horizontally across. At slower speeds it might not be as noticible, but outdoors, in bright sunlight, where faster speeds are often necessary, it will rear its ugly head. There is no quick fix that I know of. All the speeds will need adjustment.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It looks to me like the leading shutter curtain is quickly slowing to a halt at exposure time. Perhaps a bent metal guide edge? Is the effect precisely the same at all speeds?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a shutter problem. Your camera is telling you to have it CLAed ASAP ... SG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin