Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,979   Online: 1030

Shooter
    Multi Format

Filter and lens hood

I am new to using filter, so I would like to get suggestions from others. I am used to having lens hood to prevent flare which especially useful with older lenses. Now that I am venturing out to use filter and try to standardize to the largest lens diameter. That means I need to use step up ring.

My question is, if I am using a smaller lens with step up ring, how can I still use the hood? Do I need to get a universal hood for the filter size?

Thank you in advance.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Two suggestions that work for me.
    1. For rangefinders, i use a square Mamiya TLR hood that has a spring metal clamp.I have made a circular insert for the hood that takes non screw- in filters from Kodak.The filters push into the` mouth' of the hood.
    2. For SLR lens 52-58mm i use a telescope hood, because of its design it will push onto either diameter lens.

Fortunately no vignetting with either.

Others may have more help, what make of lens and thread diameter?
    regards,
    CW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Step up ring for largest diameter lens and matching large diameter hood.

Rick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin