Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,117   Online: 857

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

weston

Weston Meter

If you have the option and can find a good one, the Weston is fine instrument with a built in Zone scale on the dial..I have both the Weston and Luna Pro SBC with null dial. For anyone learning the zone system the Weston dial makes understanding zone placement much easier

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgignac View Post
    I've been putting my Luna Pro SBC for about six months now and am loving it - I only now have learned that it's considered 'big'

I'll vote for the Luna though I can't say I've had much experience elsewhere (outside of internal metering.)
    Compared to a Luna Pro/Lunasix it's a bit larger & bulkier, but a Weston is very mush smaller & lighter, and my Russian Leningrad is smaller still.

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I consider the main feature of the Luna Pro / Profisix that one can "place" object luminance very easily at relative values.
    The Luna Pro SBC/Profisix SBC allows you to take a null reading which it stores then compare other needle readings to it, without referring to the exposure dial, just a different way of working, some say it's an advantage.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Gossen Luna Pro modified to take silver 625 batteries. The Gossen is pretty good, but I have a Weston Master V as well, who's readings generally concur with the Gossen.
    Not having to rely on batteries is nice with the Weston, and it is quite a bit smaller. I always have it along as a spare.

The Gossen as I recall was fairly expensive but the Weston I picked up at a junk store as not working for $5.00. It did and does work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recommend Gossen Luna Pro. I really like mine.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    OP asked about the Luna Pro SBC and the Weston Master V. They are poles apart. The Lunapro/Six is closer to the Master V and, I think, are like comparing apples. The SBC is an orange.

I have an old Luna Pro and I have two Weston Master Vs, and a Weston Euro-Master. I use them all.
    And it was once said to me that when you understand the Weston Master V dial, you shall understand what exposure is all about.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheis View Post
    the spot meter attachment is to imprecise for the Luna Pro...
    Imprecise in what way?

I have the multi-angle attachment, but I haven't put it to any practical use yet. (It's as large as the meter, so doesn't lend itself to stuffing in my pocket.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DLawson View Post
    Imprecise in what way?

I have the multi-angle attachment, but I haven't put it to any practical use yet. (It's as large as the meter, so doesn't lend itself to stuffing in my pocket.)

In some ways he's right, until recently (2 years ago) I used my 2 Spot-meters exclusively, great no exposure problems, tight precise exposures no bracketing even with E6.

But both have issues, a dodgy switch on one and no spare parts, I bought a Luna Pro (Lunasix) at a great price with a 7.5/15° attachment via this site and in all honesty my exposures are just as fight. It's a very useful attachment.

You learn how to use a particular meter, I began with Weaston's, some got stolen, others dropped by employee's and I must find out where my good one is (I lent it to someone). Until I bought a Pentax Sp V I used a Weston Master V or Euromaster for the Zone system & all my E6 work with no issues.

So after 20 + years of just using Spot-meters I actually found I really liked my Luna Pro, and Spot attachment, so much so I bought a second although this time a Luna Pro (Profisix) SBC. Negatives are so consistent it's almost boring.

Having said all that I bought a Minolta Spotmeter a few weeks ago, but I won't get it until I next return to the UK.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning toward the Luna Pro and wouldn't mind having both. A dedicated spot meter (Pentax, Soligor, Minolta, etc.) would be nice as well. The prices are a bit high for my budget. I have a 40's GE meter and a 60's Sekonic. Neither are accurate any more. Even the Maxxum meter isn't spot on and needs tweaking for best exposures.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've owned a LP SBC for MANY, MANY years and it's never let me down... accurate, sensitive, and never needed adjustment. I also like the common 9v battery it uses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've owned both these meters for more than twenty years, I would recommend the Luna Pro SBC, and although It's battery dependant the 9volt PP3 it takes can be bought anywhere, and last for years.
    Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin