Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,575   Online: 667

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can download this:

http://www.sekonic.com/pages/downloads.asp

The first paragraph says that this works with the camera profile programmed into the light meter that gives accurate exposures.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Wow, it makes me wonder how the heck I've managed to take pictures without one for the last fifty odd years
    Apparently you bought a really good one 50 years ago, because you "wouldn't buy a second hand light meter, it's too important to me to take chances."

I'm trying the very same thing. Light meters being slightly more complex device these days, I'm just looking for some constructive advice as to take the full advantage of it. I'll make sure you get an update in 2060 how it went!

cheers!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Marco, thanks!

WClark, I'm aware of the software to load the data - this can be done directly on 758 as well - what I'm looking for is data on different films in particular tmax100. i.e. HD curve under specific development process.

Yes, I'm aware I should be doing this myself, but being limited to 120 and 35mm rolls, that's rather expensive way to experiment. 4x5 sheets would be very helpful here if I had the camera.
    Last edited by ignacj; 03-20-2010 at 07:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If one doesn't want to be able to set up film profiles, what does the L-758 really offer over the L-358 at nearly twice the price? Spot metering and radio triggering are built in, instead of requiring optional attachments. That seems to be about it in terms of features that I think I would use. Am I missing anything important? I'd like to get a really good flash meter, and I don't want to regret not buying a better one, if I would really use the features.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chazzy,

758's built-in 1-degree spot meter was the selling point for me. Actually I have 358 in mint condition that I'm selling for $200 shipped to conus. (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...ped-conus.html)
    There are 1- 5- 10-degrees spot attachments for 358, but 1- is about $170 (5- and 10- are about $150 each) and rather bulky when attached to 358. Combined with new 358 at about $240, you are coming close in price to 758. Radio triggering is only for PocketWizards. I have Hensel system with it's own proprietary radio control, so it's off no use to me. Other then that, 758 has exposure profiling built-in. Basically you can program it to keep your exposure within camera or FILM dynamic range. Not essential, but comes with it and hence this thread in hope somebody has put it to use with film!
    If you don't care about spot metering, go with 358. It does have Lumigrid (in addition to standard white ball) for reflective reading at (I think) 54-degree angle. In studio environment with strobes it performed flawlessly for me.

Best,
    Last edited by ignacj; 03-20-2010 at 08:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ignacj View Post
    Apparently you bought a really good one 50 years ago, because you "wouldn't buy a second hand light meter, it's too important to me to take chances."

I'm trying the very same thing. Light meters being slightly more complex device these days, I'm just looking for some constructive advice as to take the full advantage of it. I'll make sure you get an update in 2060 how it went!

cheers!
    I'm aware of what light meters are like these days I have a Sekonic L358 I bought last year, I just feel that that the increasing reliance on technology is turning the craft into the level of painting by numbers.
    You are welcome to update me of how you're 758 went in 2060, but make sure you bring a shovel
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm all eyes on this. My light meters can be set for more that one ISO (ASA) speed but I'm not aware of setting up profiles on particular films.
    With digital each camera has a profile as each sensor and electronics varies, how much I don't know. With most of my type of paid photography I couldn't spend the time with this.

Maybe some one can enlighten me on this subject.

At any rate, I'm all eyes waiting to learn something!

Thanks!
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I'm aware of what light meters are like these days I have a Sekonic L358 I bought last year, I just feel that that the increasing reliance on technology is turning the craft into the level of painting by numbers.
    You are welcome to update me of how you're 758 went in 2060, but make sure you bring a shovel
    It's slim picking for light-meter manufacturers in these days and point-and-shoots, so I would imagine they will go out of their way to make it somehow "Digital". I agree, exposure profiling is non-essential, and if there was 758-Analog version for $100 less, it would have been in my camera bag. Unfortunately DR is the only one available. Exposure profiling is like GPS navigation in a new car - not essential, but if you got it, you might as well learn how to use it.
    Just for the record, my truck in 10 years old, GPSless, and will get much much older... but hey, I got 758 and brand new/old Mamiya outfit instead!

Shooter
    35mm
    For the record the Sekonic 758 is not a light meter. It is an exposure meter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    For the record the Sekonic 758 is not a light meter. It is an exposure meter.
    "SEKONIC Light Meters, Now More Then Ever"

Cheer up!
    Last edited by ignacj; 03-23-2010 at 08:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin