Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,433   Online: 931

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ignacj View Post
    It's slim picking for light-meter manufacturers in these days and point-and-shoots, so I would imagine they will go out of their way to make it somehow "Digital". I agree, exposure profiling is non-essential, and if there was 758-Analog version for $100 less, it would have been in my camera bag. Unfortunately DR is the only one available. Exposure profiling is like GPS navigation in a new car - not essential, but if you got it, you might as well learn how to use it.
    Just for the record, my truck in 10 years old, GPSless, and will get much much older... but hey, I got 758 and brand new/old Mamiya outfit instead!
    I bought the L-358 and the one degree spot finder later, I couldn't see the point in spending nearly twice as much to solve a problem that I didn't have.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-23-2010 at 11:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    358 with 1-degree attachment is less sensitive (EV1-24.4 for 758 vs EV5-24.4 for 358 w/ attachment), and my understanding is that attachment does not have internal readout. Yes, you can argue these are non essential and save yourself $80. If you use Pocket Wizard to trigger your strobes, that is another $50 upgrade for 358.
    Whatever works for you
    Last edited by ignacj; 03-23-2010 at 01:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    358 with 1-degree attachment is less sensitive (EV1-24.4 for 758 vs EV5-24.4 for 358 w/ attachment), and my understanding is that attachment does not have internal readout. Yes, you can argue these are non essential and save yourself $80. If you use Pocket Wizard to trigger your strobes, that is another $50 upgrade for 358.
    Whatever works for you
    The reason I bought the L-358 in preference to the L-758 wasn't to save money but because it was more suitable for my purpose, I do think the features you mention are "none essential" for me personally, although I do have five studio strobes I'm happy to keep using sync cables to trigger them.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The reason I bought the L-358 in preference to the L-758 wasn't to save money but because it was more suitable for my purpose, I do think the features you mention are "none essential" for me personally, although I do have five studio strobes I'm happy to keep using sync cables to trigger them.
    "nonessential" to you, perhaps critical and definitely worth extra $80 to other folks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatever works for you
    I don't have a very good idea of what EV1 through EV4 would look like. Would indirect window light during daytime ever get down into that territory?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    I don't have a very good idea of what EV1 through EV4 would look like. Would indirect window light during daytime ever get down into that territory?
    Nope. EV1 is f2.8 at 4 secs, f4 at 8 secs etc. EV4 is 3-stop faster.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have problem reading under illumination of EV1.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I have problem reading under illumination of EV1.
    Bad for your eyes. A fine light-meter such as 758 might warn you not to!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whatever works for you
    I won't loose any sleep over not having the ability to take spot readings at EV1-24.4 since I so rarely photograph black cats in coal cellars the facility would be about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike to me personally, but as you say "whatever works for you"
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I won't loose any sleep over not having the ability to take spot readings at EV1-24.4 since I so rarely photograph black cats in coal cellars the facility would be about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike to me personally, but as you say "whatever works for you"
    Hey, if a slightly inferior model meets all your needs, more power to you brother.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin