Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,214   Posts: 1,532,112   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    They may still do it Steve but there's no mention of it on their website now http://www.megatron.co.uk/homepage.html
    You are right. It doesn't mention it any more. I think it used to be on the Euromaster II page at the bottom. They offered calibration and/or cell replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by edp View Post
    They did my Master V in October 2008, and I don't think their website mentioned it then either.
    I definitely saw it about a year ago. It did take a bit of searching for though.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    He repairs them.Shipping may be a bit stiff but the price for an overhaul isn't bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

Over the week end, I bought a second Weston Master II Universal Exposure Meter (Model s141/7350) black body with a white scale , manufactured in England, exactly like the one I have had already for about a year.

This one came in the original box, a leather eveready case and a lanyard, and the original instruction booklet.

What I found interesting was that both copies of the meter give identical readings in the same conditions: that must be good?

Alright then, my question is: is this model meant to have an invercone (so it can do "incidental light" readings) or not?

A very careful reading of the instruction booklet and the illustrations therein seems to suggest -strongly- that this model was never meant to be used for "incidental" reading, only for reflected light readings (and, therefore, was never meant to be used with an invercone).

Is there anyone who can confirm this, please???
    Last edited by Galah; 03-30-2010 at 12:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    Alright then, my question is: is this model meant to have an invercone (so it can do "incidental light" readings) or not?
    Mine has both an invercone and an ND filter which fits in place before the invercone. The invercone from the later Weston IV and V meters do not fit.

http://www.urmonas.net/manuals/westonII/westonII.html

EDIT: I was hoping that link to a manual would include instructions on the invercone and filter but it doesn't!

I think the idea is that in order to fit the invercone the door is opened which sets the meter to its low light range. The filter compensates for having the door open and also pushes the scale back to the high range. Without the filter it works normally on the low light range.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 03-30-2010 at 02:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The invercone fitted to the later Weston meters like the Master 1V, V, and Euro Master that is bigger than the meters body and allows the light to back leak in backlit situations and because of it's cardioid shape IMHO is the best incidental light meter ever, I've been using it for more than thirty years, and although I have a Gossen Luna-pro SBC ( Profisix), a Gossen Digipro, and a Sekonic L-358 the Weston purely for incidental light readings in normal daylight is the best of the lot, Jack Dunn who invented it in the 1950s was a genius.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-30-2010 at 04:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the manual for my Weston Master II (unfortunately the manual is in much better shape than the meter) and it does say that you can use an invercone with the Master II.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I have the manual for my Weston Master II (unfortunately the manual is in much better shape than the meter) and it does say that you can use an invercone with the Master II.
    My manual doesn't mention any invercone whatever and makes no reference to incident light measurement at all, only to reflected light readings.

No invercone was provided and no mention of such an accessory is made in the manual (unlike in my WM-V manual).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Mine has both an invercone and an ND filter which fits in place before the invercone. The invercone from the later Weston IV and V meters do not fit.

http://www.urmonas.net/manuals/westonII/westonII.html

EDIT: I was hoping that link to a manual would include instructions on the invercone and filter but it doesn't!

Steve.
    Well, Steve, if you open to page one, in the link you provided, it states:

"Brightness

Your exposure meter is designed to measure reflected light or brightness and not incident light...."

So, it pretty well appears to eliminate the use of invercones etc and all that goes with it?

Yet, people still claim that the WM II can be used to/is designed to read incident light.

are they simply incorrect?

I know later models (e.g, the WM V) are actually clearly designed to read both incident and reflected light, but the WM II ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    Well, Steve, if you open to page one, in the link you provided, it states:

"Brightness

Your exposure meter is designed to measure reflected light or brightness and not incident light...."

So, it pretty well appears to eliminate the use of invercones etc and all that goes with it?
    You are correct. My meter has an invercone and an ND filter. However, it's a III not a II like I thought it was!!!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was an invercone for the Master 11 http://westonmeter.org.uk/westontwo.htm. I'm not sure if it was supplied with the meter, or as an optional extra .
    Ben

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin